Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

ICC 11.1 not compiling optimization option (xHost/xSSE4.2)

mohamadariffyahoo_co

Hi All,

I have error compilingwith optimization xSSE4.2/xHost using ICC 11.1.046/059/064. Plus, compiling was okay if i use only O3 flag without the optimization options. Furthermore compilation was okay if I used ICC 11.0.081.

Is there any changesthat I should doon optimization options (xSSE4.2) when compiling with ICC11.1 version? asI get no error when using 11.0.081.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

-Ariff-

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
What is the error? I take it you have a problem only with -xSSE4.2. Is it a failure in binutils/ld which would indicate you need an update to support SSE4.2? What do you get from "ld --version" ? binutils 2.9 was the first with SSE4.2 support.
0 Kudos
mohamadariffyahoo_co

This is the error using ICC11.1 (-O3 and -xSSE4.2 optimization):

/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/046/bin/ia32/xiar scr icc/obj_lite/gs8/libicc/libicc.a icc/obj_lite/gs8/libicc/icc.o

xiar: executing 'ar'

icc -lm -oicc/bin_lite/gs8_lite.exe

#LOTS OF .o file are compiled here

icc: warning #10314: specifying -lm before object files may supercede the Intel math library and affect performance

icc/obj_lite/gs8/gxdevndi.o: In function `gx_render_device_DeviceN':

gs8/src/gxdevndi.c:(.text+0x259): undefined reference to `_mm_udivrem_epi32'

gs8/src/gxdevndi.c:(.text+0x794): undefined reference to `_mm_udivrem_epi32'

make[1]: *** [icc/bin_lite/gs8_lite.exe] Error 1

*Note: -lm warning can be ommited is this is not the cause of the issue.

However, if using ICC11.0, using all the same programfile, No error as above is produced. Also, no error seen of only -O3 optimzation (without -xSSE4.2) used.

I'm not seeing any binutils/ld failure. Btw, "ld --version" gave out: GNU ld (GNU Binutils; SUSE Linux Enterprise 11) 2.19

Thanks for helping.

Regards,

-Ariff-

0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee

It would be nice if you can submit a small test case to investigate the issue.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The comment in the include file for that "intrinsic" indicates that you must permit linking of the icc libraries so as to implement it. Does removing -lm help, as the earlier diagnostic suggests?

binutils version looks good.

0 Kudos