Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

ICC 13, update 3 "backend signals" fatal error

Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Greetings,

Intel: Could you please switch this topic to hidden (so only developers from Intel will have access to it), since I am about to post preprecessed C++ code (confidental) to reproduce crash of ICC on Windows?

TIA!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You can make posts private yourself so that only Intel personnel can see them.  If you wish to make a problem report and restrict visibility to only those who work on it, use premier.intel.com.

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

How could I make a private post?

here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/what-is-a-private-post-and-how-to-use-it-for-sensitive-information

it says:

you can make use of the forum's \"private post\" feature

but I can't see a button/link "private post" on this page (I have used Ctrl+F in the browser, and tried 2 browsers to be sure).

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Marian, You could send a private message to anybody on IDZ. On Intel C++ Compiler forum I would recommend these Intel software engineers: Jennifer, Georg, Judith, or Tim.
0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

TimP and Sergey ,

can you navigate me how (where I can click and so on....) to make my post to marks as confident?

I was seeking google, and there is no so thing as "privatee post" feature...

Could you navigate to make private post?

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
TimP wrote: >>...You can make posts private yourself so that only Intel personnel can see them. Unfortunately, that feature is Not available since August 2012 ( after upgrade from ISN ) to regular IDZ users, like Marian or myself. What I know is that only an Intel software engineer could switch some thread to Private.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

To post a private msg, use the "Send Author A Message" of this posting. Then it will send an email to me.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Jennifer J. (Intel) wrote:

To post a private msg, use the "Send Author A Message" of this posting. Then it will send an email to me.

Jennifer

Jennifer,

regarding problem http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/390251

I sent private message with preprocessed C++ file, and compile arguments (from MSVC2012 IDE).

NB: FWIW, it is compiled as x64.

PS: Though this compilation profile (in MSVC) is rather outdated and unmainted for fairly long time, I wanted to make it work. So it is possible you'll get compile error when bug in ICC will be fixed, but it definitely should not end up with "backend signals" fatal error/crash, though. So for me, it is impossible to fix this old profile but to mentioned fatal error.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

My last post ended up by "admin review" (false positive spam detection), so I repeat it:

Jennifer,

I sent private message with preprocessed C++ file, and compile arguments (from MSVC2012 IDE).

NB: FWIW, it is compiled as x64.

PS: Though this compilation profile (in MSVC) is rather outdated and unmainted for fairly long time, I wanted to make it work. So it is possible you'll get compile error when bug in ICC will be fixed, but it definitely should not end up with "backend signals" fatal error/crash, though. So for me, it is impossible to fix this old profile due to mentioned fatal error.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

An update to this "internal error" issue. It's been escalated it to the compiler team with track number DPD200243580. The 14.0 beta does not have the "internal error". Several work-arounds: use /Od or not use /Qopt-report-file:xxx option.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

An update to this "internal error" issue. It's been escalated it to the compiler team with track number DPD200243580. The 14.0 beta does not have the "internal error". Several work-arounds: use /Od or not use /Qopt-report-file:xxx option.

Jennifer

Thank you very much Jennifer, I will try beta v14.

Regarding v13 update 3, I can'tuse /Od (disable debug) since it is debug profile with visual memory leak detector (from codeproject web site), so it must be compiled with debug informations. Maybe I will try to not use "/Qopt-report-file:xxx", but I will definitely try ICC v14. Is in the public download, or I need to enter "beta-testing program"? I would be very glad and happy to be beta-tester. Please let me know about this option.

TIA!

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I don't know if there are more severe cases, but in the one I submitted it was the combination of /arch: and /Qopt-report which failed.  So you could use update 2, settle for /Qvec-report /Qomp-report instead of opt-report, or remove one of those options at a time in use of update 3.

14.0 beta has not yet been provided to us internally at Intel, nor did I see plans about distribution.  Emphasis seems to be on new features such as a menu selection to download components and support for the combination Windows host with linux Intel(c) Xeon Phi(tm).

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

I have read about beta-testing program on this forum, and I would really like to participate. I have read that this is upon the request. I would really like to enter to test beta versions for my (rather) complex solution. What are the requirements for steps to enter beta-testing program?

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Marián "VooDooMan" Meravý wrote:

Quote:

Jennifer J. (Intel)wrote:

Jennifer

Thank you very much Jennifer, I will try beta v14.

Regarding v13 update 3, I can'tuse /Od (disable debug) since it is debug profile with visual memory leak detector (from codeproject web site), so it must be compiled with debug informations. Maybe I will try to not use "/Qopt-report-file:xxx", but I will definitely try ICC v14. Is in the public download, or I need to enter "beta-testing program"? I would be very glad and happy to be beta-tester. Please let me know about this option.

TIA!

Jennifer, have you tried to compile my pre-processed code? are you able to reproduce the crash of ICC compiler?

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Marián "VooDooMan" Meravý wrote:

Jennifer, have you tried to compile my pre-processed code? are you able to reproduce the crash of ICC compiler?

Yes, I tried, and have filed a bug report to the compiler team.

As for beta program, I'll add you to our invitation list. The beta has not started yet.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Jennifer

Greetings Jennifer,

"<EmitOptimizationDiagnosticsToFile>true</EmitOptimizationDiagnosticsToFile>" i.e. removal of this line from the project, a.k.a. "/Qopt-report-file:xxx" removal of this option solved my issue, though I have a feeling this bug in ICC should be fixed. Thank you very much for this compiler option as a suggestion. Thogh I repeat, this crash should be fixed. Thank you again, and I appreciate your suggestion. Thank you!

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

This issue has been fixed for a while since 15.0. just updated the status for it.

Jennifer

0 Kudos