Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

ICC 16.0.2: MPX pass incorrectly passes bounds through indirect call

dmitrii_k_
Beginner

Hello,

I use icc (ICC) version 16.0.2 (20160204). I found a bug in the way its MPX transformation pass passes bounds via an indirect call.

Here is the test case that reproduces the problem:

char x = 42;
int  (*f) (int, char * );  // IF REMOVE INT ARGUMENT: WORKS
char* p;

int bar(int i, char *q) {
    return q[0];
}
int __attribute__ ((noinline)) foo() {
    return f(0, p);
//    return bar(0, p);  // WORKS
}
int main() {
    f = bar;
    p = &x;
    return foo();
}

This code raises the false-positive #BR exception when compiled & run:

>>> icc -O3 -ggdb -check-pointers-mpx=rw -lmpx -lmpxwrappers test.c 
>>> ./a.out 
Saw a #BR! status 1 at 0x400b75

Note that the function pointer `f` is used to call `bar` in `foo` (indirect call). When using a direct call `bar(0, p)`, everything compiles and runs correctly. Also note that by removing the first argument for `bar` (integer `i`), the bounds are again correct and no exception is triggered.

Here is the corresponding assembly:

<foo>:
  mov    $0x1,%eax
  mov    0x203144(%rip),%rsi        # 603c90 <p>
  xor    %edi,%edi
  mov    0x203143(%rip),%rdx        # 603c98 <f>
  bndldx 0x603c90(,%rsi,1),%bnd1
  bndmk  -0x1(%rax),%bnd0    # NULL bounds are created?!
  bnd jmpq *%rdx

<bar>:
  rex.W bndcl %rsi,%bnd0    # BR EXCEPTION HERE
  rex.W bndcu %rsi,%bnd0
  movsbl (%rsi),%eax
  bnd retq

So, `foo` calls `bar` with two bounds passed in BND0 (with NULL bounds) and BND1 (with correct bounds for p), but `bar` assumes that the bounds for its pointer argument are passed in BND0. AFAIK, the way `foo` is compiled is a violation of the X64 calling convention for MPX. Also, this exception does not happen under GCC 6.1. Thus, I believe it's a bug in the ICC MPX pass implementation.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Dmitri

Have you tried your test with Intel Compiler 17.0? I cannot reproduce the error with 17.0 on Windows.

I need to find a Linux Skylake system to verify your issue. I will let you know when I have an update on this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
dmitrii_k_
Beginner

I did not try ICC 17.0. From my side, I will try to update to ICC 17.0 and report the results on my Linux Skylake machine.

UPDATE: I installed ICC 17.0, and the bug persists. The assembly looks exactly the same as with ICC 16.0.

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

HI, Dmitrii

Thank you for the update. I noticed the same assembly on Windows skylake.

I am still root-causing the issue and will let you know for an update soon.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Dmitri

I have entered this issue in our problem tracking system. We will try to resolve this issue as soon as we can. However, please be advised that this issue may have to be targeted to for the next major release. I will let you know when I have an update on this issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos