Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

ICC install fail at libstdc++.so.5

naxingyu
Beginner
When the install check the dependencies, it failed to check 32-bit library, then I press Enter and it said "One or more of the ......
libstdc++
libstdc++5
glibc
..............."

In fact, I have installed the libstdc++.so.5, why it can not recognize it?
Environment is :
Fedora 12
Intel 64-bit

libstdc++5 seem to be not available in fc12
Please help , thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KitturGanesh
Employee
Hi,
The compiler looks for libstdc++.so.5 under the /usr/lib directory if you're compiling on 32-bit architecture and will look under /usr/lib64 for Intel 64 architecture.

You need to make sure you've installed the library correctly under the appropriate directory.

BTW, you can refer to the following link for more info:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=62127

and also look at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intelr-compilers-for-linux-under-fedora/
Let me know if the above resolves the issue?

regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
You must install package lib (ia32) ,is required for icc (64).
Regards

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Yes, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of that library (libstdc++-33 or libcompat) are needed.
0 Kudos
compila
Beginner
I've got the same problem on Ubuntu 10.04 x64
this helped me,should help you too:
This part:
9.10: For Intel 64 / AMD64 (64bit Linux installation) Libstdc++5:
follow these instructions IF AND ONLY IF you have a 64bit Ubuntu installation.

Intel 64 installation: Select the download for the libstdc++5 package for "amd64". If you are using Firefox, you will be prompted if you want to "Open with GDebi Package Installer" - select OK to continue. Otherwise, save the deb package and use your favorite package manager to install. Install the amd64 libstdc++ deb package.

by default, the 64bit libstdc++.so.5 library will install in /usr/lib which is linked to /usr/lib64.

Now, you also will need the 32bit libstdc++.so.5 installed in /usr/lib32. Unfortunately, the "i386" version of the libstdc++5 package wants to install in /usr/lib which is your 64bit library directory and where you just installed the "amd64" libraries - so you DON'T want to download and install the "i386" package into the default location.
We'll need to download the "i386" package to a temporary directory, use dpkg to extract the contents to the temp directory, then manually copy the library to /usr/lib32 and create the symbolic link:

First, download libstc++5 package for "i386" - save to disk and do NOT launch a package manger to install it. Save it in your 'Downloads' folder or /tmp (or any other scratch directory).
Using your root terminal window, cd to the directory where you have downloaded the .deb package, it should have a name similar to 'libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_i386.deb'. The exact version is not important, but make sure it is a "i386" deb package.
Extract to the local directory:

dpkg --extract libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_i386.deb ./

Notice that a 'usr/' folder was created and the package contents extracted here. Now we'll copy the library to /usr/lib32

cd usr/lib
cp libstdc++.so.5.0.7 /usr/lib32
cd /usr/lib32
ln -s libstdc++.so.5.0.7 libstdc++.so.5
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
That's right, the 64-bit Ubuntu scheme (presumably copied from Debian long after most others followed the SuSE scheme) will not work with Fedora, even if you find a dpkg. It's hard to see why you would append this to a thread about a different OS setup.
Compilers about to release appear to be based on libstdc++.so.6, removing the need for "compatibility" libraries, but possibly requiring a new group of install advices.
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
Compiler work perfectly with fedora 12 without external help
Problem You must having access upgrade path repository online
I remember that It Is false by default with (12).
Media only one have not all packages
You must disable some lines in the file configuration path or repository for it can access possible
(require also you upgrade an encrypted KEY)
and you must use command line for call package. (is yum if i remember exactly) graphic tools for install packages would running
correctly only after upgrade ..
After add group package lib ia32 and all could be work perfectly without change name or path lib
Is well on line you have access all packages 32 and 64
Is same with fedora 13
Very good quality distribution all sides... (12 or 13) not need to make the tinkering
Regards

0 Kudos