Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

[ICE] internal error: assert ion failed at: "shared/cfe/edgcpfe/symbol_tbl.c", line 9836

Matt_Clarkson
Beginner

I get an Internal Compiler Error when compiling the attached files.  Looks like the EDG frontend is bombing out (maybe).  This £521 C++11 compiler is becoming less and less value for money ;)  Hope there can be an easy update/fix?  Maybe the compiler options are conflicting?  Or maybe this really is a problem?

F:\keystone\include\udp/keystone/graphics/colour.hpp(31): internal error: assert
ion failed at: "shared/cfe/edgcpfe/symbol_tbl.c", line 9836

class DLL_PUBLIC Colour final {

Compiled with:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013\bin\intel64\ICL.exe /nologo /Qstd=c++11 /Dfinal= /Doverride= /Qwd13000 /W5 /Wport /Wcheck /FC /Werror-all /Ox /Qipo /MD /IF:\keystone\build\release\include /IF:\keystone\include /IC:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013\compiler\include /IC:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013\compiler\include\intel64 /IC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\INCLUDE /IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\include\shared /IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\include\um /IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\include\winrt /IC:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013\ipp\include /IC:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013\mkl\include /IC:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013\tbb\include /IF:\tool-chain\third_party\libraries\opensource\\cppunit\1.12.1\branches\junit\install\include /DNDEBUG /DBUILDING_DLL  ..\..\lib\graphics\src\colour.cpp /FC /c /Fo lib\graphics\src\colour.cpp.1.o

Note that final and override are macroed to nothing so that the intel compiler can glance over those C++11 features.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Matt, Thank you for your problem report. Unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem, and it looks that the compiler reported some errors before reaching the Internal error. I got something like this on my machine.
colour.cpp include\udp/keystone/graphics/colour.hpp(31): error: incomplete type is not allowed class DLL_PUBLIC Colour final { ^ include\udp/keystone/graphics/colour.hpp(32): error: expected an expression public: /* Public type definition */ ^ include\udp/keystone/graphics/colour.hpp(48): error: expected a "}" }; ^ ...
Probably there is something (macro definitions?) missing here. Could you please upload a preprocessed source file for me? In order to generate a preprocessed file, replace /c option with /E option in your command line. The output is preprocessed source, which is what I need. Thank you. -- Feilong H. Intel Developer Support Tools Knowledge Base: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tools
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Matt, The Intel C++ Compiler Forum is devoted to resolving technical problems, issues and software developers are interested in these subjects first of all. >>... This £521 C++11 compiler is becoming less and less value for money ;)... I think you need to ask yourself several questions like: - How many C/C++ compilers I'm experienced with? - How would I compare Intel C++ compiler against other C/C++ compilers? - Does it give some advantages over other C/C++ compilers? If your answers are mostly positive then it makes sense to use Intel C++ compiler. Thank you for your questions and a test case. I'll take a look at it.
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Matt,

I reproduced the problem with 13.1 compiler.  See below.

C:\ice>icl /nologo /Qstd=c++11 /Dfinal= /Doverride= /Iinclude /DNDEBUG /DBUILDING_DLL lib\graphics\src\colour.cpp /c
colour.cpp
include\udp/keystone/graphics/colour.hpp(31): internal error: assertion failed at: "shared/cfe/edgcpfe/symbol_tbl.c", line 9837

class DLL_PUBLIC Colour final {
^

compilation aborted for lib\graphics\src\colour.cpp (code 4)

And it appears that 14.0 compiler (which is in beta) contains a fix for this issue.  In case that you'd like to participate the beta program, read this.

If the fix in 13.1 is a must-to-have for you, please let me know.

Feilong

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi everybody, >>...If the fix in 13.1 is a must-to-have for you, please let me know... Feilong, I think it will be the best solution to implement the fix in version 13 as well. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Sergey,

I'm entering this issue to our problem-tracking database.  And engineering team will look further into it.  I'll let you know whether fixing it in 13.1 is feasible or not.

Feilong

0 Kudos