Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

ICPC 14 (Composer XE 2013 SP1) error when constructing a std::vector, using GCC 4.7 in C++11 mode

woodbird
Beginner

I have recently installed the icpc 14, the newest version. I tried to use it in C++11 mode with GCC 4.7 (4.7.2 and 4.7.3 tested). A strange error when constructing std::vector happens. I managed to reduce it to the following minimal example,

#include <vector>

template <typename T>
class C
{
public :

void call ()
{
std::vector<double> data(100);
}
};

int main ()
{
C<double> c;
c.call();
}

When compiled with

icpc -std=c++11 -o test test.cpp # possible -gcc-name etc option to choose GCC versions

An error as the following is output,

/opt/gcc/include/c++/4.7.2/bits/stl_vector.h(904): internal error: bad pointer
emplace_back(_Args&&... __args);
^

compilation aborted for test.cpp (code 4)

If I just define such a vector in a free function, it is fine. If I remove the template, make the class C a simple class, it is fine. However, in the above example the error occurs with GCC 4.7.2 and GCC 4.7.3. I haven't got a chance to test with other GCC versions.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I see the same thing with g++-4.9, although g++ by itself succeeds.  Strangely, icpc dislikes the header file only when the c++-11 section is enabled.

With the previous release (13.1.192) it also is necessary to remove the c++11 option to make it pass.  There are many more errors under -std=c++-11.

Naming an a.out as test is generally dangerous, but that's not the problem here.  It's definitely a reportable bug, but I've been locked out of the bug reporting system for 3 weeks now.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
This is simply to note that vector class is a fundamental in STL library and it is not clear how it could be related to the latest C++11 Standard. The only explanation could be It is the Bug in the compiler.
0 Kudos
woodbird
Beginner

Sergey Kostrov wrote:

This is simply to note that vector class is a fundamental in STL library and it is not clear how it could be related to the latest C++11 Standard. The only explanation could be It is the Bug in the compiler.

Surely it has something to do with C++11. If you look at the error message, it has something to do with rvalue reference. And the constructor in the minimal example is actually different in C++98 and C++11

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...And the constructor in the minimal example is actually different in C++98 and C++11... Yes, you're right. I did a quick verification with 3 versions of vector header files released in ~2005, ~2008, and ~2009 years, that is before 2011 (!), and the test case is working in all these 3 cases. I'll verify with a version of vector heade file released after 2011 as well.
0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee
This bug is being tracked in our bug database as DPD200247329. It was recently fixed and the fix will be in the next 14.0 update. Here is a description of the bug. Sorry for the inconvenience. 9/9/13 [EDGcpfe/14410] GNU C++ compatibility: Abort on declaration of variadic member template A change made in version 4.7 (see EDGcpfe/13643 on 5/17/13) could result in an abort (in update_parameter_pack_symbol_values) on the declaration of a variadic member template in g++ mode when gnu_version >= 40700. Now fixed. template class A; template struct B { B(const T1&); template B(A); }; template struct C { void f() { B b(0); } }; int main() { C c; c.f(); }
0 Kudos
Michele_D_
Beginner

Is there any estimate for when this update will be release?
Is there a workaround by using some other C++11-enabled standard library?

0 Kudos
Oliver_F_
Beginner

I have just also hit this problem when using a std::multimap, this apparently can also trigger this bug indirectly.

Is there by now any estimate on when the fix will be released, or at least any workaround for the meantime?

0 Kudos
Steffen_M_
Beginner

I'm hitting this bug as well. It would be really nice to have an ETA for the fix or at least some kind of workaround.

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

This was fixed and should be in 14.0 update 1 (which should be available very soon since it passed product validation a few days ago).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Judy

0 Kudos
asd__asdqwe
Beginner

Hopefully icpc will now be fully compatible with g++ >= 4.7 headers in C++-11 mode, this is getting really tiring...

0 Kudos