Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

ICPC 17 Update 5: Access Violation After Upgrading to VS2017 15.5.0

jase439
Beginner

Just upgraded my VS2017 from 15.4.4 to 15.5.0 and now the Intel Compiler (17 update 5) crashes with numerous access violations on multiple solutions/projects (seemingly at random).

Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same?

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: sstask, Configuration: Release x64 ------
1>log.cpp
1>main.cpp
1>src\app.h(20): error : access violation
1>     class app_t : public thread_t, public threadable_t
1>           ^
1>
1>syncobj.cpp
1>taskdispatcher.cpp
1>src\taskdispatcher.h(71): error : access violation
1>              return FetchCompletedTasks([&]()
1>                     ^
1>
1>thread.cpp
1>src\thread.cpp(325): error : access violation
1>        m_target = (t_obj ? &(*t_obj) : null);
1>                               ^
1>
1>threadpool.cpp
1>src\app.h(20): error : access violation
1>     class app_t : public thread_t, public threadable_t
1>           ^
1>
1>timer.cpp
1>src\timer.h(24): error : access violation
1>     class timer_t
1>           ^
1>

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jase439
Beginner

This error does not reproduce with Intel Compiler 2018 Update 1.

0 Kudos
Robert_Schneider
Beginner

Yes I can confirm this issue

I have run into the same problem today after upgrading from Visual Studio 15.4 to 15.5.

When using the Intel Compiler 2017 update 5 one now very soon runs into a "Access Violation" as error message.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

could you please report this issue to our Online Service Center with some code snippets or a testcase?

Runtime issue takes some time to isolate.

thanks,

Jennifer

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

As such a test case would involve a re-installation of both Visual Studio and the Intel compiler tools (I have since upgraded to 2018 to circumvent this problem), that would not be feasible.

That said, all my projects failed in the same spectacular way. It did not seem isolated to a particular syntactical pattern or a particular file in the project. Everything failed to compile out of the gate. These projects were all configured to use 2017 Update 5 under Visual Studio 15.4.4 and were fine, then applying the update to Visual Studio 15.5.0 caused the ICC compiler to tank. I switched back to Visual C++ compiler (rebuilt fine), then switched back to to Intel Compiler with the same result. I attempted to "Repair" the Intel installation and also tried removing and reinstalling ICC 2017 Update 5 to see if that would fix the problem. It did not.

Complete removal of the 2017 compiler/tools and install of 2018 Update 1, however, did fix the issue.

That's the best I can do here. Sorry. If there's a crash log or dump file that gets written somewhere, I can look for that and attach it.

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

I wonder if  VS 15.5.2 might fix the issue? I don't blame Intel, it seems MS is updating VS2017 at a rapid rate and breaking many extensions. I have had to completely uninstall VS 2017 to clear out various issues.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

Did this get resolved in ICC 2017 Update 6?

0 Kudos