Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

ICPC compiler core dump mcpcom

Arnold-Medabalimi__N

Good Afternoon

I have been running into an issue when compiling using the 2020 parallel studio XE.
I am compiling the SLATE libraries. There is no issue with the configuration of the Intel compilers and including and linking MKL
However, during some of the build steps, I encounter

": internal error: ** The compiler has encountered an unexpected problem.
** Segmentation violation signal raised. **
Access violation or stack overflow. Please contact Intel Support for assistance.

icpc: error #10105: /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/bin/intel64/mcpcom: core dumped
icpc: warning #10102: unknown signal(1440094384)
icpc: error #10106: Fatal error in /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/bin/intel64/mcpcom, terminated by unknown

which halts the compilation. I removed the optimization flags based on some much older threads I saw but this didn't seem to help. I believe all the includes are correct and I was able to compile using gcc. Linking is also fine but should be irrelevant at this stage. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. I can provide OS and PATH's if needed.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
RahulV_intel

Hi Nicholas,

Could you let us know the following details:

• OS that you have used.
  • SLATE library repository that you have used.
  • Steps that you have followed, leading to the error.

-Rahul

0 Kudos
Arnold-Medabalimi__N

Hi Rahul 

Thanks for your help.

I am running on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS but I briefly tried on my Ubuntu 16 machine as well to check and had a similar issue. 
I am working the with the public repository https://bitbucket.org/icl/slate

Process to error
source intel Parallel (source {$INTEL_ISNTALL}/parallel_studio_xe_2020/bin/psxevars.sh)
cd to slate (cd ${SLATE_SRC_DIR})
cd to blaspp sub dir (cd blaspp)
make configuration  (make config CXX=icpc blas=mkl)
make blaspp (make lib -j) 
cd to lapackpp (cd ../lapackpp)
make configuration  (make config CXX=icpc blas=mkl)
make lapackpp (make lib -j)
go to slate root (cd ..)
create following make.inc with configuration

CXX    = mpiicpc    # C++ compiler
FC     = ifort  # Fortran compiler (optional)
openmp = 1         # Enable OpenMP
mpi    = 1         # Enable MPI 
mkl   = 1         # Use MKL 
cuda_arch =   # One or more of: kepler maxwell pascal volta turing (empty to deconfigure GPU)

then make (make)

a few objects will build followed by the error

Access violation or stack overflow. Please contact Intel Support for assistance.

icpc: error #10105: /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/bin/intel64/mcpcom: core dumped
icpc: warning #10102: unknown signal(-277112656)
icpc: error #10106: Fatal error in /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/bin/intel64/mcpcom, terminated by unknown

Thanks for any tips. Its possible I am missing a flag or something. 

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi Nicholas,

Do you have the required dependencies to manually build the SLATE library? 

And also I've noticed the source path for sourcing "psxevars.sh" as $INTEL_ISNTALL (could be a typo). 

Meanwhile, we are trying to build the SLATE libraries manually and will let you know once its done.

-Rahul

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi Nicholas,

We are able to reproduce this error when we tried to build the "slate" library with icpc. We will let the concerned engineering team know about this issue. Thanks for reporting this issue.

-Rahul

0 Kudos
Arnold-Medabalimi__N

Hi Rahul

Thank you for the quick response. I'd be interested in any updates or resolutions that may be found. I can work with GNU in the meantime but I'd prefer to use Intel once this issue is resolved for certain clusters.

Thanks again
Nick 

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Hi Nick, Can you look into one of the objects that failed to compile, then replace -c with -E and provide us the output along with your command line options?

0 Kudos
Arnold-Medabalimi__N

Hi 

Thanks for the quick response. 

I changed the rule in the makefile for CC files from -c to -E and it seems like objects are all building fine but now I get a linker error during the library link step.  I'll post again if I get the full library built with the tests or if the error crops up again.

What is the difference between the -c and -E options? I am very much an end-user so some of these things elude me. 

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

-E is to create a preprocess file. I don't need the entire project to be built with -E.

Can you look into your log file, then just select only one source file which failed to compile, then replace -c with -E.

ex: icc -O2 -axAVX -ipo foo.c -c =>  icc -O2 -axAVX -ipo foo.c -E >& foo.i

0 Kudos
Arnold-Medabalimi__N

Thanks for clarifying the misunderstanding. 

I ran the make to error which occurs at 
icpc     -O1 -std=c++11 -fPIC -fopenmp -DSLATE_NO_CUDA -I./blaspp/include -I./lapackpp/include -I./include -I./src -c src/internal/internal_her2k.cc -o src/internal/internal_her2k.o

I replaced the -c with -E and have attached the resulting object. 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

I was able to compile your preprocess file.

orcsle147:/tmp/vah1$ icpc     -O1 -std=c++11 -fPIC -fopenmp -DSLATE_NO_CUDA test_internal_her2k.i -w -c -V
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.0.166 Build 2019112

orcsle147:/tmp/vah1$gcc -v

gcc version 8.1.0

Can you please see if you are able to compile the attached file using the same command options on your system?

0 Kudos
Arnold-Medabalimi__N

Hi here is the command and output

:~/compilers/intelpackages/debug$ icpc     -O1 -std=c++11 -fPIC -fopenmp -DSLATE_NO_CUDA test_internal_her2k.i -w -c -V
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.0.166 Build 20191121
Copyright (C) 1985-2019 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Edison Design Group C/C++ Front End, version 5.0 (Nov 21 2019 02:53:07)
Copyright 1988-2018 Edison Design Group, Inc.

Maybe I should try reinstalling Parallel Studio?

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

what is your gcc version?

0 Kudos
Arnold-Medabalimi__N

Apologies. 

gcc -v 
gcc version 7.4.0 

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

I found a system with Ubunto 18 and was able to reproduce it. Previously, I compiled on RHEL7 and it worked.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

I've submitted this case to our Developer (CMPLRIL0-32608)

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

This issue has been resolved in PSXE2020. Can you try it out? We will no longer respond to this thread.  

If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Thanks,

0 Kudos