Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

INTEL composerxe under openSuSE 11.4

Roland_Schotter
Beginner
I downloaded and successfully installed the latest INTEL Composerxe on an openSuSE 11.4 machine with Intel64 architecture. After setting the environmental variables and trying to invoke the compiler by means of a simple terminal commad line like "icc Hello.c" I got the error message

icc: error #10001: could not find directory in which g++ resides

Since g++ exists in my /usr/bin directory I assume that icc searches for g++ in different directories. I wonder if somebody knows the default directories which are scanned by icc or any commands which allow icc to find g++ in /usr/bin?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

I would try these options:

-gcc-name=
name and location of gcc if not where expected

-gxx-name=
name and location of g++ if not where expected

Is /usr/bin in your PATH?

Judy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

I would try these options:

-gcc-name=
name and location of gcc if not where expected

-gxx-name=
name and location of g++ if not where expected

Is /usr/bin in your PATH?

Judy

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
By default, icc simply uses the g++ which is found first on PATH. Normally, you would leave the default opensuse PATH intact and add icc in accordance with the iccvars source script. You would likely have a very difficult time if you removed the normal suse PATH settings.
0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee
Hi,
We can also try "-v" option.
$icc -v Hello.c

Thanks & Regards,
Sukruth.H.V
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
icc: error #10001: could not find directory in which g++ resides
I wonder if somebody knows the default directories which are scanned by icc or any commands which allow icc to find g++ in /usr/bin?

I'm not sure that asuggested option '-v' would help. Of course, you could try.

When that option is used with 'g++' it displays lots of details. Here is an example:

Reading specs from C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/specs
Configured with: ../gcc/configure --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --host=mingw32 --target=mingw32 --prefix=/m
ingw --enable-threads --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,ada,objc,java --disable-win32-registry --disable-sh
ared --enable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-libgcj --disable-java-awt --without-x --enable-java-gc=boehm --disable-libgcj
-debug --enable-interpreter --enable-hash-synchronization --enable-libstdcxx-debug
Thread model: win32
gcc version 3.4.2 (mingw-special)
C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/cc1plus.exe -quiet -v -iprefix C:\WorkLib\MinGW342\Bin/../lib/
gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/ -isystem ../../AppsSca/include -DNDEBUG MgwTestApp.cpp -quiet -dumpbase MgwTestApp.cpp -auxbase MgwTestApp -version -o C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp/cc0Kaaaa.s
ignoring nonexistent directory "C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../../mingw32/include"
ignoring nonexistent directory "/mingw/include/c++/3.4.2"
ignoring nonexistent directory "/mingw/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32"
ignoring nonexistent directory "/mingw/include/c++/3.4.2/backward"
ignoring nonexistent directory "/mingw/include"
ignoring nonexistent directory "/mingw/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include"
ignoring nonexistent directory "/mingw/mingw32/include"
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
../../AppsSca/include
C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../../include/c++/3.4.2
C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../../include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32
C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../../include/c++/3.4.2/backward
C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../../include
C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include
End of search list.
GNU C++ version 3.4.2 (mingw-special) (mingw32)
compiled by GNU C version 3.4.2 (mingw-special).
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=99 --param ggc-min-heapsize=130982
C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/as.exe -o C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp/
ccQlbaaa.o C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp/cc0Kaaaa.s
C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/collect2.exe -Bdynamic -o Release\MgwTestApp.exe C:/WorkLib/Mi
nGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../crt2.o C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/crtbegin.o -L..
/../AppsSca -LC:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2 -LC:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc -LC:/WorkLib/Min
GW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../../mingw32/lib -LC:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../
.. C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccQlbaaa.o -lstdc++ -lmingw32 -lgcc -lmoldname -lmingwex -lmsvcrt -luser32 -lkern
el32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lmingw32 -lgcc -lmoldname -lmingwex -lmsvcrt C:/WorkLib/MinGW342/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3
.4.2/crtend.o

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
I think is just you have in /usr/bin gcc-x.x with g++-x.x
execute ls /usr/gcc* and ls /usr/g++* and make copy or link (ln) with that you have name with number version
on short name gcc and g++
Regards

0 Kudos
Roland_Schotter
Beginner
Thanks a lot Judy, I tried the additional compiler option -gxx-name=/usr/bin/g++ and now all works fine with no more error messages. /usr/bin was on my local PATH.

Initially, g++ in /usr/bin was named g++-4.5 under openSUSE 11.4, which caused an early problem during installation, because the installation script searched for g++ only. So I renamed g++-4.5 into g++ which resulted in no more problems during installation. Obviously, this was not enough for the icc compiler which needs the additional option as mentioned above.

Many thanks also to the other contributors.

Roland
0 Kudos