Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Icl recompiles project whenever a single file is changed.

gilrgrgmail_com
Beginner

Iam compiling aproject with hundredc++ files.Whenever I change a c++/h file the whole project the intel compiler recompiles the whole project.
I use:
Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, Version 12.0.1029.2010.

I toggled to m$ compiler and it compiles only the relevant files.

0 Kudos
42 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi there,

I tried with a small project in VS2010& Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 update 4 (integration version 12.0.1029.2010). Unfortuantely, I can't reproduce the problem. Could you please upload a small test case for me?

Thank you.
--
Feilong H.
Intel Developer Support

Tools Knowledge Base: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tools
0 Kudos
gilrgrgmail_com
Beginner
I attached a zip file of a c++ project.
Notice that even a minor change in one of the 3 classes causes recomilation of the other 2 classes..
0 Kudos
Gadi_Zadikoff
Beginner
I have the exact same problem, I can also reproduce the rebuild with the sample project above
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi gilrgrgmail.com & Gadi,

Could you please upload the file "icl.read.1.tlog"? It seems this files tracks the file names which need to be re-compiled.

Thanks,
Feilong
0 Kudos
gilgil
Beginner
I have the same problem.
The file you have mentiones exist yet is empty.
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Thank you guys. A developer in our IDE integration team is looking into this issue now. He needs to reproduce it in his system first. I'llyou know once I have an update.

Thanks,
Feilong
0 Kudos
msolus
Beginner
I am also experiencing this problem, usingC++ Composer Update 5. I would like to stress that the issue is only present when targeting x64. I attach a simple solution having just two cpp filesand the corresponding icl.read.1.tlog files generated during 32 and 64 bit compilation. As you can see, this file is empty when the target is 64 bit.
Do you have any update ona possible fix, Feilong? I am evaluating C++ Composer and thinking of getting a student license, butafter a couple of weeks of testingI have already found two annoying bugs.
0 Kudos
gilgil
Beginner
Any news regarding this bug ?
It costs me with very long compilation time and causes massive time loss..
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi,

We reproduced this problem on one machine. Engineering team is investigating this issue. I'll keep you posted with any status update.

Thanks,
Feilong
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Hi msolus,
do you have VS2010 SP1 installed?

From the log file it seems thatyou have Intel C++ Composer XE update5 installed.do you also have Intel Parallel Composer 2011 or Intel Parallel Studio 2011 installed too?

thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
msolus
Beginner
Dear Jennifer,
I think Ihave not installedVS2010 SP1 yet. I attach you a picture reporting the version of VS2010 and the Intel products.
I installed Parallel Studio XE 2011 update 2 and then C++ Composer XE 2011 update 5 (which I believe is a more recent version than the one included in Parallel Studio XE 2011).
0 Kudos
msolus
Beginner
I installed VS2010 SP1 but this does not fix the issue. By the way, using the Visual C++ compilereverything works as expected, both in VS2010 and in VS2010 SP1.
0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee
Hi gilgil,
If you are using VS2010 then you can check out this option:-

In VS2010 -->Tools / Options / Projects and Solutions / Build and Run
and then
choose "On run, when projects are out of date: Never build".

Then, manually build the project only where sourcecode has been edited and finally run the startup project.

Hope it will be helpful.

Thanks and Regards,
Sukruth.H.V

0 Kudos
gilgil
Beginner
The problem occures both with the sp1 and without it.
As so, the problem remains usingthe last build of intel composer.
0 Kudos
llne
Beginner
I have this exact same problem. Turning on higher build verbosity (Tools:Build and Run:MSBuild Project output verbosity -> Detailed) shows that msbuild thinks the files need to be rebuilt because they aren't found in the last tlog. But the tlog is empty. I've noticed this for all of my Intel projects in VS2010. The read and write tlogs are always empty. When using cl this is not a problem, the files are filled normally as the build progresses, but not with icl.

Who is responsible for updating the tlog, msbuild or icl?

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
gilgil
Beginner

there are 2 (probably) related issues:
1. when performing rebuild icl uses all cores. yet the "unwanted" rebuild uses single core and thread - thus significantly slower than a rebuild.
2. the "unwanted" rebuildproduce many time code with bugs. when perfroming rebuild the code runs correct.

0 Kudos
gilgil
Beginner
Hi Sukruth.
I have tried the method you suggested - the problem remains.
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi all,

Engineering made some progress and probably identified root cause. I'll let you know when I have more update for you.

Thanks,
Feilong

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi all,

The problem is caused by MS security update patches. As a temporary workaround, please uninstall KB2507938 if SP1 is not installed and uninstall KB2567680 if your Windows has SP1. Engineering is working on a fix for this issue.

Please let me knowwhether this workaround works for you or not.

Thanks,
Feilong
0 Kudos
VADIM_G_Intel
Employee
And don't forget to reboot your computer after you uninstalled the updates mentioned above. Otherwise the patch will continue affecting build.
0 Kudos