Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Icl recompiles project whenever a single file is changed.

gilrgrgmail_com
Beginner

Iam compiling aproject with hundredc++ files.Whenever I change a c++/h file the whole project the intel compiler recompiles the whole project.
I use:
Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, Version 12.0.1029.2010.

I toggled to m$ compiler and it compiles only the relevant files.

0 Kudos
42 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
VooDooMan wrote:

Quote:

VooDooMan wrote:

Quote:

Feilong H (Intel) wrote:

This issue has been fixed in the latest Composer XE update. You may download it at https://registrationcenter.intel.com.

Thanks,
Feilong

using Win8 x64, MSVC 2012, ICC 13.0.1 (package 2013.1.119) integrated into MSVC IDE.

Yes, the issue has been fixed. Partially. But the bug is still present when you use /MP (enable multi-processor build) switch, which boosts performance (I have thousands of .c and .cpp units as well), especially when one has contemporary multi-core CPU, which is not uncommon these days. The "/Gm" switch ("enable minimal rebuild") is ignored.

I am sorry, but conclusion is the bug was not fixed.

even more, w/o /MP switch, the link phase is still performed, when I did not touched any code! I hit F5 (run) and it is asking me for the rebuild (saying the code is out of date, which is not the case), I click "Yes", I get:

---snip---
Build started 2012-11-26 13:05:24.
InitializeBuildStatus:
Creating "x64\Debug\XXX.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
Midl:
All outputs are up-to-date.
MessageBuildingWithCompiler:
Building with Intel(R) C++ Compiler XE 13.0
ClCompile:
***** ClCompile (x64 - Intel C++)
ResourceCompile:
Link:
xilink: executing 'link'
Creating library x64\Debug\XXX.lib and object x64\Debug\XXX.exp
XXX.vcxproj -> c:\PATH\TO\XXX\x64\Debug\XXX.exe
---snip---

My only luck is this is a Debug build. But consider costly /Qipo / IL linking that takes circa 11 hours (due to swapping, since I have only 8 GiB of physical RAM, and IL compiler at link phase is eating about 7 GiBs)! When none of the files has been touched...

Hi VooDooMan, I'd love to reproduce this issue on my machine. Do you have a test case, so that I can reproduce the rebuild issue (with and without /MP)? Thanks, Feilong
0 Kudos