Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Incomplete source with assembly output

joewright
Beginner
Hello there, I'm just starting to use Intel C++ Compiler (v10) with VC++ 2003 and I've hit my first problem.

For one of my source files I've set the option to produce assembly output (I do this via the project settings but its the /FA and /Fa settings). The problem I am having is that the source C++ is only included for a little of the output. Specifically it just has source for an included string class (wxString) but not the class I'm actually interested in.

I've tried the various /FA settings but they all produce the same output. Although I can find a particular function in the code its hard to work out what assembly goes with what c++ source since it isn't listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Joe
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The source line numbers in the .asm file produced by ICL are a better guide than the interleaved source facility of other compilers. You may have to compile from pre-processed source, then use the source line references in the pre-processed source.
0 Kudos
joewright
Beginner
Thanks Tim.

I've now found the pre-processed source output (/P) in VC but unfortunately the line numbers don't tally (not even close - the pre-processed file is massive). Is there anyway to synchronise the line numbers?

Thanks, Joe
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
That's why I suggested compiling the pre-processed source, with the aim of getting asm line numbers to match the pre-processed rather than the original source.
0 Kudos
joewright
Beginner
Oh I see what your saying - thanks (I was generating the pre-processed code but not compiling from it).

Its a bit fiddly but if that's the only way then ok. Has anyone got a more integrated approach?

Thanks, Joe
0 Kudos
joewright
Beginner
I'm an idiot. I was looking at the wrong line numbers.

I thought I should be looking at those $LNxxxx entries but the line numbers were actually on the right hand side, along side the code. It marries up perfectly with the unpre-processed source so that's great.

Cheers, Joe
0 Kudos