Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Inline assembly syntax?

_martin_
Beginner
Hello,

I'm trying to compile a project with Intel C++ Compiler which compiles very well with Microsoft VS 2005 Compiler.

with Intel C++ Compiler 9.1 this inline code:
__asm movaps xmm6, qword ptr [g_vifRow1]
produces this error: __asm 'movaps' Bad memvx128 qualifier

if i remove the 'qword ptr' operator on this line
__asm movaps xmm6, [g_vifRow1] compiles very well but i'm sure it does something different (sorry i'm not much into asm)

what does the errormessage mean?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rick_Paulson
Beginner

One of our engineers has this comment:

"The memory reference in the movaps instruction is 128 bits.You should use XMMWORD instead of QWORD."

-Rick

0 Kudos
Anonymous69
Beginner
Hi, the problem is not in assembly syntax but in datatype. You shouldn't use

movaps xmm6, qword ptr [g_vifRow1]

because "qword ptr" means pointer to quadword ((sizeof(word) * 4) bytes). You should use pointer to xmmword ((it is a new datatype comming with SSE) 16 bytes) if you use XMM registers

movaps xmm6, xmmword ptr [g_vifRow1]

But in generaly it is not needed to write "xmmword ptr" because the compiler knows what datatype to load into register. So it is enough to write

movaps xmm6, [g_vifRow1]
0 Kudos
Anonymous69
Beginner

because "qword ptr" means pointer to quadword ((sizeof(word) * 4) bytes). You should use pointer to xmmword ((it is a new datatype comming with SSE) 16 bytes) if you use XMM registers

But in generaly it is not needed to write "xmmword ptr" because the compiler knows what datatype to load into register. So it is enough to write

movaps xmm6, [g_vifRow1]
0 Kudos
Anonymous69
Beginner

movaps xmm6, [g_vifRow1]
0 Kudos
Anonymous69
Beginner

movaps xmm6, [g_vifRow1]
0 Kudos