Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Installation command line argument for --components

INFRA_W_
Beginner

I want to install parallel studio 2016 with parallel_studio_xe_2016_setup.exe with command line.

But i dont want to install fortran component. I only want to install Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Composer Edition for C++ and Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Cluster Edition.

What is the argument to pass for the option --components=?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

@INFRA
You're right in that --a option also need to be used. There’s some redefinition apparently in the command line options and the “–a <arguments>” need to be passed as well, which wasn’t mentioned in earlier communication.  The --a option passes all arguments as command line arguments to setup.exe that are supported by setup.exe which you can find out by using --help. 

I've attached the screenshots of the install flow which should help in the file "silent-cfg-generation.docx" and the silent-cfg.txt (the silent.cfg file generated sample).  Let me know if you still need any further clarification and again, appreciate your patience through this and for bringing this issue to attention.

_Kittur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
INFRA_W_
Beginner

For information i use the following command line in batch:

start /wait C:\parallel_studio_xe_2016_setup.exe --silent -a install --output=%tmpDir%_installation_logs.txt --eula=accept --license=%tmpDir%Licence.lic --update=coexist --components=Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 Composer Edition for C++

if i set  --components=default

i have got the following message:

Warning: Intel® Fortran Compiler will be installed without integrated development environment(IDE) based on Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Shell*
    Details: \tab Microsoft Visual Studio* 2013 or 2015 were not found on your system. You can install a Fortran Integrated Development Environment (IDE) based on Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Shell*. However, it requires that the Microsoft Windows SDK* for Windows* 8.1 should already be installed and it is not found on your system. \par\pard\li280\tab Please visit the Install Microsoft Windows SDK for VS2013 Shell* (https://software.intel.com/en-us/vs2013shell-windowssdk) for detailed instructions. After the SDK is installed, restart the Intel® Parallel Studio XE installation. \par\pard\li280\tab If you select 'Next', you will not be able to develop Fortran applications within a Fortran IDE based on Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Shell*. \par\pard\li280\tab Please refer to the Release Notes (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-160-release-notes) for details.

But i don't want to install stuff about fortran. I only need Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 Composer Edition for C++

0 Kudos
Amanda_S_Intel
Employee

From this article: https://software.intel.com/en-us/windows_silent_installation_guide

It looks like you set the component via a numbering system. However, when I test this myself, it's not clear to me how the numbering system correlates to the individual components.I am verifying with the installation team on this and I'll provide an update soon.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

@INFRA:   There's another article on silent install at:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-compilers-for-windows-silent-installation-guides/    I'll ask the author for the above article to look into adding more on component selection etc. as well for future reference.

BTW,  your command syntax almost looks ok. The correct syntax of command is:

--components={all|default|component1, component2, component3,…}

where component1, component2 – are aliases of install components

The difficulty here is that PSXE contains a lot of components. You will also have to know aliases of components etc. 
There’s a better way to choose components for installation:

1. Run setup.exe in GUI mode with option –duplicate=<file> and make full installation. <File> here is the name of config file, which will be created and will contain a list of installed components.
  2. Run setup.exe in a silent mode using option –silent=<file>, where <file> is the name of config file, you’ve just received on the first step

If you have a system-locked license, use please trial activation on the first step

To get full list of setup options, use

% setup.exe --help

Hope the above helps and works? Let us know if you still have an issue, thx

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

@INFRA: 
BTW, the component alias names can be found in "Config\Media" which should contain xml files for each component and there should be an  “alias” attribute inside of each corresponding file.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
INFRA_W_
Beginner

It didn't work using the "duplicate" option, I might not be using it well.
Can you give me the full command line you think I should use ? or if I should use the Gui, can you screenshot the option duplicate.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

@INFRA:  

Hi,
You will have to make the full installation to obtain a config file. The duplicate option is only available in the GUI mode.  And to use that option the syntax is:

% 
setup.exe –duplicate=D:\config.txt

_Kittur

0 Kudos
INFRA_W_
Beginner

Ok, as said above, I cannot use this command line : I get an error saying "Invalid command Line parameters".

Here is the commandLine I tried :

- "parallel_studio_xe_2016_composer_edition_for_cpp_setup.exe" -duplicate=D:\Config.txt

- "parallel_studio_xe_2016_composer_edition_for_cpp_setup.exe" --duplicate=D:\Config.txt

- parallel_studio_xe_2016_setup.exe -duplicate=D:\Config.txt

- parallel_studio_xe_2016_setup.exe --duplicate=D:\Config.txt

As you said full installation, I tried with both the setup.exe from the installation of " Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for C++ Windows" and the setup.exe of "Intel® Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for Fortran and C++ Windows* (all tools)".

And it does not work with both of them.

I will detail a little bit more what I want to do from the commandLine (silent mode), I succeeded to launch the Gui installation (without options) and selected the components I need to install : here is the screenshots :

intel--1.JPG

intel--2.JPG

I'm loosing too much time on this, you must have the commandLine to do this, at least, if you can use duplicate on your side, why don't you use it to send me the name of the components I need ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

@INFRA
You're right in that --a option also need to be used. There’s some redefinition apparently in the command line options and the “–a <arguments>” need to be passed as well, which wasn’t mentioned in earlier communication.  The --a option passes all arguments as command line arguments to setup.exe that are supported by setup.exe which you can find out by using --help. 

I've attached the screenshots of the install flow which should help in the file "silent-cfg-generation.docx" and the silent-cfg.txt (the silent.cfg file generated sample).  Let me know if you still need any further clarification and again, appreciate your patience through this and for bringing this issue to attention.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

@INFRA
Hi, appreciate if you could let us know if the attachments containing the installation flow and using the --a option was successful at your end? thx.
_Kittur 

0 Kudos
INFRA_W_
Beginner

Thanks a lot, it works.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Great to hear! As mentioned earlier I'll work with  the author of that silent install article and request him to update the component selection info and such with more elaboration as well. Again, thanks for your patience through this and for confirming the solution.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
eriwol
Beginner

Hi,

Came across this while I'm struggling to do a silent install of Parallel Studio XE 2020. I just can't get this to install silent from commandline. We use license key and tried every combination I can think of on the commandline but I just can't get to work. Also generated a silent.cfg but it doesn't seem to read the file. Anyone have any tips?

0 Kudos