Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Installation does not find existing VS2008

jimbilly
Beginner
When I attempt to install this compiler, I get the message...

Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition for Windows* installation can continue, but take note

The Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition for Windows* requires that a Microsoft* development product be installed. Refer to the Release Notes for a list of the required Microsoft* development tools.

Installation can continue; however, you will have to enter full path for installed Microsoft Platform SDK.

The following components can not be installed:

- Integration(s) in Microsoft Visual Studio*

- Intel Parallel Debugger Extension

- Integrated Documentation

Installation can continue; however, these components will not be installed because they require that a supported Microsoft* development tools be installed. Refer to the Release Notes for a list of the required Microsoft* development tools.

This is despite the fact that Visual Studio is installed and the Intel Visual Fortran compiler install had no trouble finding it.

Is there a workaround?

Thanks,
John

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The only possibility I know of for anything resembling Visual Studio to be recognized by ifort but not icl is with the VS2008 shell which comes with current ifort, or VS2005 PPE which came with the previous ifort. Those limited versions of VS2008 are required by Microsoft not to work with C or C++. The most evident workaround, if you call it that, is to install the 90-day trial version of VS2008. VS Express will support the 32-bit icl for limited command line only usage.
0 Kudos
jimbilly
Beginner
Thanks for the reply. I have the full Visual Studio 2008 from my MSDN subscription. VS was installed prior to the ifort and icl installation (attempts).
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
VS2008 C++ option requirements are the same for integrating Intel Fortran and C++. If you didn't install the VS2008 C++ option (and the X64 sub-option, if applicable), Intel Fortran would install its own VS2008 shell rather than integrating into your "full" VS2008.
0 Kudos
jimbilly
Beginner
Thanks again for your reply. Are you suggesting that I uninstall Fortran and re-install C++? Or would you suggest another workaround?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you haven't installed the VS2008 C++ options, you will need to add those to your VS2008 configuration. This should enable you to install ICL. Assuming that your Fortran is using its own copy of VS2008 shell, you would probably want then to re-install/repair the ifort to switch it over to using the full VS2008.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
can you post the screen-capture of the about dialog within VS2008? Just to make sure it does have the Visual C++ Compiler.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Hi,
FYI to others. This issue is resolved. The reason is because of the "X64 Compiler & Tools" of VS is not installed.

Please see this article for future references: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/why-the-installation-could-not-find-the-visual-studio-2005-or-2008-installed/

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos