Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Installation on Ubuntu Linux failed

Dat_Chu
Beginner
I am running Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 and trying to install Intel C++ Compiler for IA32/IA64.

I downloaded the tar.gz package. Untar then run sudo sh install.sh

The installer will then ask me if I want to install. I choose install.
Then it asks me to input the serial number. I input my serial number and the compiler would then gives out this output and terminate.

The Intel Software Setup Assistant may attempt to connect to the Intel Registration Center to validate your Serial Number. This may take several minutes depending on your network. Please wait...

You may press Ctrl+C to cancel.
Floating point exception (core dumped)

Does anyone has any idea how to fix this error? I can alien the rpm package however I would really like to go the official way to install Intel Compiler as to allow better support later on.

TIA
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JenniferJ

Do you havex64 OS? See if this FAQ http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/sb/CS-025939.htmhelps.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi,

What version of the compiler are you trying to install? Is it 9.1 or 10.0? What's the package id of the compiler?

If it's 9.1 version, then you'll have to make changes before you can install. The following link clearly explains what you'll need to do:

http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/sb/CS-025939.htm

If you'reusing the 10.0 compiler, try to make sure the license is valid. If you'reinstallating on IA-32,executethefollowing command:

./chklic.32 -c

ex: ./chklic.32 -c /opt/intel/licenses/*.lic

If it's valid, then try using the license file option during the installation instead of serial number.

Let me know after trying the above if you still have problems and we'll go from there

-regards

KG

0 Kudos
Dat_Chu
Beginner
@LJ: Actually I am not running 64-bit OS right now. I thought that download ing the IA-32/IA-64 version will automatically choose it for me.

I downloaded the IA-32 version today (10.0 Linux) and encounter the same problem when I try with the serial number.

I am sure that I have g++ and libstdc++ in place and working. I have compiled on this machine using g++ before as well.

@KG: I am trying to install 10.0 version. I tried using chklic.32 and it says that my license file which I save at /opt/intel/licenses/intel.lic is valid. However when I try to specify the absolute path to this license file, the installer keeps telling me that the file is invalid.

Now can this be because I am running the newest version of Ubuntu (which is not mentioned in the link that Jennifer provided (thanks LJ).
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi TIA,

Now, specifying the path to the license file during installation should work and the installer shouldn't be telling it's invalid if the chklic.32 says it's valid. ALso, what version of Ubuntu are you running on, and what is the sysinfo etc.

Also, since you're using 10.0 version, it should function fine without any changes required as noted in the FAQ we referred to in the link. Looks like this could be a potential license issue?

Can you please file an issue in Premier Support and we can look at this issue and resolve for you?

-regards,

kittur (KG)

0 Kudos