Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Integration between Intel® System Studio Professional Edition and Microsoft Visual Studio

Diêgo_João_C_
Beginner
I have installed on both of my computers Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 Version 12.0.40629.00 Update 5 and Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3. I have also installed Intel® System Studio Professional Edition Version 2017 Update 1 twice, first time using system_studio_2017.1.045_online.exe and after using system_studio_2017.1.045.exe. In both times and on both of my computers, I could not use Intel C++ Compiler inside both version of Microsoft Visual Studio (MVS). By the way, the only thing that integrates with MVS is the Intel Inspector after installing the Update 2. Is there something wrong with system_studio_2017.1.045_online.exe or system_studio_2017.1.045.exe? Or must I do something else in order to integrate Intel C++ Compilers with Microsoft Visual Studio?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Is there something wrong with system_studio_2017.1.045_online.exe or system_studio_2017.1.045.exe? >>...Or must I do something else in order to integrate Intel C++ Compilers with Microsoft Visual Studio? You could do a quick verification: - Start a Visual Studio 2013 or 2015 - In main menu select Tools -> Options - At least four items related to Intel software should be seen for Advisor, Inspector, VTune and C++ compiler - Open any C/C++ VS project - In a Solution Explorer select a project name then click right mouse button - In a popup menu ( at the bottom ) you should see items related to Intel software - In order to compile C/C++ sources with Intel C++ compiler you need to select "Use Intel C++ compiler".
0 Kudos
Diêgo_João_C_
Beginner
I was installing the Windows Tools for Linux Target when I should install the Windows Tools for Windows Target. That was the problem! The installation worked with Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 Version 12.0.40629.00 Update 5, but it does not with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3. The MVS2015 stopped working, it stopped recognizing .vcxproj. I had to uninstall and reinstall Visual Studio Comunnity 2015 in order to return recognizing .vcxproj. I gave up integrating Intel Compilers with MVS2015. I hope the integration with MVS2017 come quickly.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I gave up integrating Intel Compilers with MVS2015. I hope the integration with MVS2017 come quickly... I wonder if integration with open source Eclipse IDE Neon v4.6.3 could be considered as a workaround? Note: I've been using Eclipse IDE Neon v4.6.3 on two Windows platforms and on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I'd like to mention that a move to Eclipse IDE is not a simple procedure because it has lots of options. I've done integration using a Makefile project with existing code wizard of Eclipse IDE.
0 Kudos
Diêgo_João_C_
Beginner
Actually, I used to use Eclipse, but I had an issue with it. I could compile my projects with several compilers, but not with different versions of a compiler, such as selecting between GCC 4.9, GCC 5 and GCC 6, or selecting Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017. It is possible with Visual Studio and NetBeans. In Eclipse, it is only possible to choose between GCC, CLang, Visual Studio and Intel, for example, but not the versions. If it is possible, I do not know how to do it.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...In Eclipse, it is only possible to choose between GCC, CLang, Visual Studio and Intel, for example, but not the versions. >>If it is possible, I do not know how to do it. I'd like to inform you that C/C++ compiler versioning on Windows platforms could be used as follows: 1. Let's try to use five versions of MinGW C/C++ compiler, 3.4.2, 4.8.1, 4.9.2, 5.1.0 and 6.1.0, on a Windows platform 2. You need a Junction utility ( http://www.sysinternals.com ) 3. Create the following structure of folders: ..\WorkLib\ ..\WorkLib\MinGW342 ..\WorkLib\MinGW481 ..\WorkLib\MinGW492 ..\WorkLib\MinGW510 ..\WorkLib\MinGW610 4. Install, or copy, different versions of MinGW C/C++ compilers to MinGWxxx folders Note: Structure of all folders for all MinGW C/C++ compilers installed, or copied, to MinGWxxx folders Must Be the Same (!) 5. Use the Junction utility to create a folder MinGW, like: junction.exe MinGW MinGW342, and as soon as the command is executed a new directory will be created ( a junction ): ... ..\WorkLib\MinGW ... 6. That is, your current version of MinGW C/C++ compiler is 3.4.2 ( MinGW342 is mapped to MinGW ) 7. If you need to use a different version then delete the MinGW folder using the Junction utility: junction.exe -d MinGW and map a folder with a different version. For example: junction.exe MinGW MinGW610 8. Since that structure of all folders for all MinGW C/C++ compilers installed, or copied, to MinGWxxx folders is the Same (!) a PATH needs to be set just for MinGW main folder I used that technique for more than 5 years for different versions of MinGW and Watcom C/C++ compilers.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Correction: >>...I used that technique for more than 5 years for different versions of MinGW and Watcom C/C++ compilers. I use that technique for more than 5 years for different versions of MinGW and Watcom C/C++ compilers.
0 Kudos