Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Integration problems (v9.1) with VS2005 on Vista

Iliyan_Georgiev
Beginner
Hi,

I installed the Intel C++ Compiler v9.1 I downloaded from the website (only the IA-32 version), with the Visual Studio 2005 integration pack. I am running Windows Vista Business. I converted a trivial Visual C++ project to an Intel Compiler project. So far, so good. But when I build the solution, it instantly just says compilation successful, even if there are errors in the code. It does not try to compile it at all.

When I compile from the command line with icl.exe, everything works perfectly. I even tried to simulate a step from the VC++ building process (i.e. I manually made the .bs file with the command-line options and put it as an argument to icl.exe) and I successfully generated an .obj file from my very simple .cpp file.

What could be wrong?

EDIT: It turns out that every time I try to compile the program from Visual Studio, three processes are started but never ended - they remain resident, and I have to kill them manually! They have the following command lines (with varying arguments, of course):

"C:ProgrammingIntelCompilerC++9.1IA32Binicl.exe" @C:UsersiliyanAppDataLocalTempVadCFC5.bs

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8VCinmt.exe" @C:UsersiliyanAppDataLocalTempVadCFDA.bs

"C:ProgrammingIntelCompilerC++9.1IA32Binxilink.exe" @C:UsersiliyanAppDataLocalTempVad4BF.bs
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Iliyan_Georgiev
Beginner
Come on, why didn't anybody answer? Sad smiley [:(]

Here is the output I get in the Output Window in VS:

------ Build started: Project: CPPTests5, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
Compiling with Intel C++ 9.1 ...(Intel C++ Environment)
Linking...(Intel C++ Environment)
Embedding manifest...(Microsoft VC++ Environment)
Build Time: 0:00:00
Build log was saved at "file://C:Users...ReleaseBuildLog.htm"
CPPTests5 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

If you read the news you might have heard that Intel's CEO said Vista is not yet ready for the primetime. Therefore I doubt they do much testing internally so don't be angry if nobody from Intel answers you.

What I can suggest however, is to get VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe and VS80sp1-KB929470-X86-Beta-ENU.exe. The second one is meant for Vista users only (maybe it is not beta anymore, so be sure to check if newer version exists).

There is Intel C++ Compiler 10.0.018 beta so you can check if newer version works any better.

0 Kudos
Iliyan_Georgiev
Beginner
Hi, thanks for the reply first!

How is it possible to get this new beta version from the Intel web site? It's always been a pain browsing it. Google doesn't know anything about this beta either. Is it public?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Sorry, I believe that beta program is closed. The 10.0 released compilers should be available on registrationcenter.intel.com in a month to customers who bought 9.1. There is a very good chance this time that the CD version from the shops also will be fully up to date. As you didn't care to give the version or date of the compiler you downloaded, you allow us to suspect that it is too old to have had a chance to be tested with Vista.
As Igor said, Intel doesn't permit internal use of Vista except in isolation in labs. It will be about a year before Vista is supported by various software vendors on a par with XP. Still, I know of people running the latest 9.1 compilers successfully on Vista (64-bit) with VS2005.
Given that this involves so much "run as administrator" operation, it is even more important to find a good firewall and virus checker which still doesn't interfere with compilers. I don't have a good solution there; a requirement to run on Vista makes this even less likely. It will take up to a year for various software vendors to catch up with Vista.
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
I just visited Microsoft web site and both VS80sp1-KB929470-X86-Beta-ENU.exe and VS80sp1-KB929471-X86-Beta-ENU.exe have been superseeded by VS80sp1-KB932232-X86-ENU.exe which is now the final version of the Visual Studio 2005 Vista specific update. Another thing worth noting is that you really should run VS2005 as administrator, even Microsoft advises you to do so with the warning message when you run it under Vista for the first time.
0 Kudos