Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Intel 2017 Compiler error when doing /Qipo

Armando_L_A_
New Contributor I

Dear Intel Development Team,

It is a big project, but  Composer XE 2013 SP1.4.237 is able to do /Qipo ok.

On the other hand:  When 2017 compiler finish (without crash) the generated code has problems on some machines without AVX (I compile for SSE3 as base instruction set, with CPU dispatch for AVX if present). The code created with Composer XE 2013 is OK. If the machine has AVX, there is no problem. If I change the optimization to /Qip , the code is OK.

Compiler Error Message:

1>": : error : ** The compiler has encountered an unexpected problem.
1>  ** Segmentation violation signal raised. **
1>  Access violation or stack overflow. Please contact Intel Support for assistance.
1>
1>xilink: : error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)
1>xilink: : error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)
========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

Hi Armando,

From the message, it looks like compiler failed to compile a source file. Can you find out what is that source file?

Regards,

Viet Hoang

0 Kudos
Armando_L_A_
New Contributor I

Dear Mr. Hoang,

It look to be when xilink was working.

It only happens when I forgot to remove the "check pointers"  on release production with /Qipo. 

I am not feeling assurance with results of /Qipo, in particular with Intel Compiler 2017. Version 2013 was more stable.

I can not send the source code to you. It is a big source of our company,

Let me tell you, other user sent the error code to you some time ago, with 2017 version. So this should not be news for you.

Best regards,

Armando

0 Kudos
Armando_L_A_
New Contributor I

More information after additional experimentation (version 2017 :

The source of instability for our project is:

/Qipo

Add Processor-Optimized Code Path:  AVX

Intel Processor-Specific Optimization:  SSE3

If the resulting code is executed on machines without AVX, there will be problems. On CPU with AVX, there is no problem, as far as we and some other beta testers checked.

If I compile only for "Intel Processor-Specific Optimization",  without adding code-path. There is no problem, if a capable CPU is used.

So the problem looks like to be related with CPU-dispatch and /Qipo.

BUT: If I forget to turn off  "Check Pointer"  with the previous release conditions,  xilink crash.

Regards,

Armando

0 Kudos