Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Intel C++ 2016 update1 cannot integrated with Xcode 7.2

Shi_J_
Beginner

my Mac was updated to OS X EI Capitan 10.11.2, and the Xcode update to 7.2 version, and I cannot find the Intel C++ 2016 compiler in Xcode now, so can I fix it, or just wait for the next version of intel C++ compiler?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Shi,
Well, after investigation I found that there's a feature request to support  XCode 7.2 as it's not supported in the latest Update 1 release of the product. It will be supported in the next Update 2 release thereof and I'll keep you updated as soon as that release is out. Appreciate your patience till then.

That said, you can follow the instructions at: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/581678  if you would like touse earlier version of XCode 7.2 and older, thanks.

_Kittur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Shi,
Please refer to the article at: https://software.intel.com/articles/os-x-1011-support-in-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2016 
Xcode integration for all compilers in IPS XE 2016 initial release or earlier products will be broken. So, you'll need to upgrade to IPS XE 2016 Update 1 which should work with Xcode IDE correctly. Let us know if you still have issues, thx

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Shi_J_
Beginner

Kittur Ganesh (Intel) wrote:

Hi Shi,
Please refer to the article at: https://software.intel.com/articles/os-x-1011-support-in-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2016 
Xcode integration for all compilers in IPS XE 2016 initial release or earlier products will be broken. So, you'll need to upgrade to IPS XE 2016 Update 1 which should work with Xcode IDE correctly. Let us know if you still have issues, thx

_Kittur

Hi _Kittur

thank you for your reply, I checked my version of IPS 2016, it is indeed the Update1 version, as Attachment shows.

I'm not sure if it is the issue of Xcode 7.2, the link you showed me does not mention Xcode 7.2 version after all. 

thanks.

Shi

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Shi,
Can you please attach the *issa* and *pset* log files you find in the /tmp directory so I can pass it on to the installation folks for further investigation? Appreciate your patience through this.
_Kittur 

0 Kudos
Shi_J_
Beginner

Hi _Kittur

that is strange, I cannot find any *issa* and *pset* log files in /tmp directory. the most relevant file to Intel is just "intel.ism.xxx", the Intel software manager log file. but I'm sure the installation is completed.

I reinstalled IPS for many times, and there are no log file in /tmp.

Is there any clues else?

thanks

Shi

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

HI Shi, 
Pardon me, realized it's Mac. So, the log files should be created in the $TMPDIR.  Can you look in that directory and attach the *pset*.log and *issa*.log files? Thx.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
Shi_J_
Beginner

Hi _Kittur

I attatched the *issa* and *pset* log files I have found, can you please check them for me?

Thanks

Shi

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Thanks Shi. I've filed an issue with the install team and will update you as soon as they are done with their investigation. Again, appreciate your patience till then, thanks.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Shi,
Well, after investigation I found that there's a feature request to support  XCode 7.2 as it's not supported in the latest Update 1 release of the product. It will be supported in the next Update 2 release thereof and I'll keep you updated as soon as that release is out. Appreciate your patience till then.

That said, you can follow the instructions at: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/581678  if you would like touse earlier version of XCode 7.2 and older, thanks.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Shi_J_
Beginner

Hi _Kittur

Thanks for your attention, I understood.

so _Kittur, Can you tell me an approximate time when update 2 release ?

thanks

Shi

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Shi,
Well, with what I understand the update 2 should be out in early Q1 of next year. Appreciate your patience till then.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
Gerard_A_
Beginner

Hi Shi,

Here is how I resolved this issue for running Intel C++ 2016 Update 1 on Xcode 7.2.  Basically, after you've installed Update 1,  the only thing you are missing is the "ICC 16.0 Compiler.xcplugin" file, which needs to be installed in /Library/Application Support/Developer/7.2/Xcode/Plug-ins/

To find this file:

1. Mount the installation package m_ccompxe_2016.1.043.dmg on your desktop. Right click on the icon and Show Package Contents
  2. Navigate to Contents/Resources/pkg and unpack (double-click on) "m_comp_lib_xcode.icc_71_p-16.0.111.tgz"
  3. You should now see a Library folder created in your Downloads directory.  Follow the path to Library/Application Support/Developer/7.1/Xcode/Plug-ins and you will find ICC 16.0 Compiler.xcplugin in there.
  4. Copy this file to your /Library/Application Support/Developer/7.2/Xcode/Plug-ins/ folder.  (If the 7.2 folder does not exist on your machine, copy the entire 7.2 folder with its sub-directories.)
  5. Quit and restart Xcode. Now check if you can find the ICC Intel C++ Compiler 16.0.
  6. If that doesn't work, put a copy of "ICC 16.0 Compiler.xcplugin" in /Library/Application Support/Developer/Shared/Xcode/Plug-ins/

I got this to work on OS X Yosemite with Xcode 7.2 (using the 7.2 folder) and on OS X El Capitan with Xcode 7.2 (using the Shared folder).

Gerard

0 Kudos
Shi_J_
Beginner

Hi Gerard,

Nice to see your reply, and I tried the method you showed me, it works. that's exactly the way to resolve the issue for now.

thanks a lot.

Shi

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Thanks Gerard, looks like your solution should work. OF course, update 2 release of the product should contain the fix as I mentioned earlier, appreciate much.

_Kittur

0 Kudos