Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Intel C/C++ compiler 10.1.021 for Win64/IA64 does not work with Microsoft Windows SDK 6.0.6001.18000.367

Frank_Illenseer
Beginner

Working on Windows Server 2003 SP2 for Itanium (i.e. at least this problem first discovered there) with the latest Compilers from Intel (i.e. Intel C++ IA-64 Compiler for applications running on IA-64, Version 10.1.021) and the Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5 (version 6.0.6001.18000.367) from Microsoft I get the following errors when trying to link a simple "hello world" program

#include

void main(void)
{
printf("Hello world ");
}

with the Intel compiler:

Intel C++ IA-64 Compiler for applications running on IA-64, Version 10.1.021

The settings in the environment are:

FXTOOLS=C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework64v3.5;C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv3.5;C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework64v2.0.50727;C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727
ICPP_COMPILER10=C:Program FilesIntelCompilerC++10.1.021
IFORT_COMPILER10=C:Program FilesIntelCompilerFortran10.1.021
INCLUDE=C:Program FilesIntelCompilerFortran10.1.021ItaniumInclude;C:Program FilesIntelCompilerC++10.1.021ItaniumInclude;C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCInclude;C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.1Include;C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.1Includegl;
LIB=C:Program FilesIntelCompilerFortran10.1.021ItaniumLib;C:Program FilesIntelCompilerC++10.1.021ItaniumLib;C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCLibIA64;C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.1LibIA64;
INTEL_LICENSE_FILE=C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesIntelLicenses
MSSDK=C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.1
PATH=C:Program FilesIntelCompilerFortran10.1.021ItaniumBin;C:Program FilesIntelCompilerC++10.1.021ItaniumBin;C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCBinIA64;C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCvcpackages;C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0Common7IDE;C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.1BinIA64;C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.1Bin;C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework64v3.5;C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv3.5;C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFramework64v2.0.50727;C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727;C:WINDOWSsystem32;C:WINDOWS;C:WINDOWSSystem32Wbem;C:Program FilesIntelIDB10.1ItaniumBin
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=ia64 Family 7 Model 0 Stepping 4, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=7
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0004
VCINSTALLDIR=C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VC
VCROOT=C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VC

I am building from the command line directly and there is NO Visual Studio installed on the machine. Only the stuff that came out of the Windows SDK installation.

$ icl helloWorld.c
Intel C++ IA-64 Compiler for applications running on IA-64, Version 10.1 Build 20080312 Package ID: w_cc_p_10.1.021
Copyright (C) 1985-2008 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

helloWorld.c
C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCIncludecodeanalysissourceannotations.h(69): warning #1552: unrecognized attribute "source_annotation_attribute"
[source_annotation_a ttribute( SA( Parameter ) )]
^

[...]

C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCIncludecodeanalysissourceannotations.h(174): warning #1552: unrecognized attribute "source_annotation_attribute"
[source_annotation_attribute( SA( Parameter )|SA( ReturnValue ) )]
^

[...]

C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCIncludestdio.h(189): warning #1552: unrecognized attribute "returnvalue"
_Check_return_ _CRTIMP int __cdecl _filbuf(_Inout_ FILE * _File );
^

C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCIncludestdio.h(189): error: expected an argument list for the "" attribute
^

C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCIncludestdio.h(189): error: expected a type specifier
^
[...]

C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0VCIncludestdio.h(195): error: expected an argument list for the "" attribute
_Check_return_ _CRTIMP FILE * __cdecl _fsopen(_In_z_ const char * _Filename, _
In_z_ const char * _Mode, _In_ int _ShFlag);
^

[...]

compilation aborted for helloWorld.c (code 4)

There are a lot of these errors out of "stdio.h". If you need the complete output, then just state and I can provide.

Can anyone please comment on this issue and maybe help to get the Intel compilers working with Windows SDK?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee

I just tried installing the SDK on an Intel 64 technology-based system, and after some work to get the iclvars.bat Intel compiler script to call up the right Microsoft dev environment, I'm able to compile your hello, world without problems. We're still looking into this though.

C:Userslhhello>icl hello.c
Intel C++ Compiler for applications running on IA-64, Version 10.1 Build 20080312 Package ID: w_cc_p_10.1.021
Copyright (C) 1985-2008 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

hello.c
hello.c(3): warning #1079: return type of function "main" must be "int"
void main(void)
^

Microsoft Incremental Linker Version 9.00.21022.08
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

-out:hello.exe
hello.obj

0 Kudos
Frank_Illenseer
Beginner

Thanks Brandon for testing this.

Can you tell me any details on this, so I can also get this maybe working on may machine? Or maybe tell me what I made wrong?
Or do you consider this some kind of Intel compiler deficiency, as you are stating "we're still looking into this though"...?

Can I do anything to help with this case?

0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee

I think at this point you should go to https://premier.intel.com and submit an issue there. If you don't have access, go to http://registrationcenter.intel.com and register your compiler. When you submit this as an issue, attach a preprocessed version of your hello file. Generate it like so:

icl -E -c hello.c > hello.i

and then attach the hello.i file to the issue. Comparing this with my file, I can try to sort out what header differences are causing this.

0 Kudos
Frank_Illenseer
Beginner

Submitted via Intel Premier Support: ==> Intel issue 485189

0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee

The problem here was that the icl.cfg configuration file in the compiler bin directory contained /Qvc8 when you need to have /Qvc9 set to be compatible with the latest SDK. I assume the installation set /Qvc8 because there was an older SDK on the system at install time, and then the SDK got upgraded later.

0 Kudos