Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Intel C++ Compiler 8.1 problem

Alexander_N_
Beginner

Is there any way converting __intel_fast_* function calls into inline code. I try many setings but it alway calls them instead inlining their code. I also want to know what is this function used and how can be removed ___intel_proc_init ?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
/Oi- may avoid some of the __intel_fast substitutions. You might also check the include files in the icc installation. __intel_proc_init presumably had something to do with checking the CPU family at run time, so might be avoided by avoiding Intel CPU specific architecture options. It may be easier to upgrade to a supported compiler rather than continuing to use a compiler which was tested only on CPU versions which are no longer in production.
0 Kudos
Alexander_N_
Beginner
This still doesn't work - I want to get rid of all intel function calls for processor check. Please help!
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The introduction of /Qimf-arch-consistency:true in ICL 12.0 was the first option to avoid processor type checking in the math run-time library.
0 Kudos
Alexander_N_
Beginner
But was this possible with older versions (like 8.0) and now restricted. Beacuse I had an executable build with Intel C++ Compiler (in VC++ 6.0) in June 24, 2003 without processor type checking.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...in June 24, 2003... Alexander, it is a real challenge to help you because you're talking about more than 10-year-old software product. Intel C++ compiler version v8.1.38 was released on 06/14/2006 and since your binary was built in 2003 it is possible it was built with even older version of Intel C++ compiler, that is v7, or v6, or so. I also use some very old ( legacy ) C/C++ compilers, like Turbo C++ v3, MS Visual C++ v4.2 and v6, in order to verify some compatibility issues. Could you provide some generic technical details of your project? Why do you need Intel C++ compilers v7 or v8? Why can't you use another newer version? Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
Alexander_N_
Beginner
Because I'm trying to reverse the executable to its original source code but for that I need to have the same old tools. I know it's version 7.0 or 7.1 because of the object instance: C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler70\IA32\Lib\libmmt.lib Is there any way I can get it?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I'm trying to reverse the executable to its original source code but for that I need to have the same old tools. I know >>it's version 7.0 or 7.1 because of the object instance: >> >>C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler70\IA32\Lib\libmmt.lib >> >>Is there any way I can get it? Thank you for the information. I could suggest that you post a message 'I need Intel C++ v7.x, please!' on different C/C++ compiler, Software Development and IT forums and, who knows, maybe somebody still has it in a CD collection and will donate you a copy. A message to Intel C/C++ compiler team Is there any way to help Alexander? All these "obsolete" versions of Intel C/C++ compiler are invaluable Intel legacy and history. I also would be glad to have as older as possible version(s) of Intel C/C++ compiler for different R&D tasks. Thanks in advance! Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
Alexander_N_
Beginner
Thanks for the replay! The idea for the message is good and I'm going to post it now! Can you post the replay from your message to Intel C/C++ compiler team thought? Actually I recieved a PM from one man which I think have got this version and now he will decide if he can give it to me (maybe I'm lucky)!
0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee
Hi Alexander, As I mentioned in the other thread, the link for downloading older versions contain 8.X and above only. Also, I do find you have filed a Premier Support issue and I'll respond to you further in that issue for any further clarifications, appreciate much Regards, Kittur
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Thanks for sharing that information. That's sounds great! >>...Actually I recieved a PM from one man which I think have got this version and now he will decide if he can >>give it to me (maybe I'm lucky)!.. Could you also mention that there is another developer ( that is me ) who is also interested in that version of Intel C/C++ compiler?
0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee
Hi Sergey, I will pass on your feedback ( on how important older versions are for different R&D tasks) to the compiler team - appreciate much Regards,
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Thanks, Kittur and Please keep us informed. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
Alexander_N_
Beginner
So here what Kittur say as a suggestion: "1. Do you have a 7.0 license or a newer product paid license? If you do, then I can contact the appropriate group to see if it's possible to get the archived 7.0 release compiler." So actually I need to paid $1,599 for Intel® C++ Studio XE 2013 for requesting an old unsupported and invaluable software released 10 years ago?? Or is there a way to buy license for the 7.0 or 7.1 release?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...So actually I need to paid $1,599 for Intel® C++ Studio XE 2013 for requesting an old unsupported and invaluable >>software released 10 years ago? Of course it doesn't look good. By the way, on Windows platforms Microsoft and Borland ( even if it doesn't exist any longer ) have free versions of compilers for non-commercial use. Intel says 'We're a community oriented company... Not an army...' My question is Why wouldn't Intel does a really good thing by releasing older versions to community of developers for non-commercial use on Windows platforms?
0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee
Hi Alexander, Just to clarify, for a standalone product like only the Composer XE containing the compiler, the price is lower. Refer to the link http://software.intel.com/en-us/buy-or-renew Hi Sergey, Thank you for your suggestions on releasing older compiler versions to the community. I will communicate this feedback to our marketing team. Regards, Kittur
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Some kind of Intel Software Repository would benefit to internal Intel and external researchers, developers, etc. For example, If somebody needs an older package of Intel software ( older than 8+ years, for example ) he could make a request to get it for free for a non-commercial use for any platform. Personally, I'm ready to pay ~$10 USD for a CD with a needed software and shipping but I wouldn't pay more and this is what actually Microsoft does for some very large SDKs or SPs. I think one of the best examples of a Software Repository is http://Download.Microsoft.com and on the site it is possible to find more than 10-year-old software. Unfortunately, some SDKs or SPs are not easy to find or simply lost after a couple of upgrades during last 5 years. Thanks Kittur for the follow ups!
0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

That's a great suggestion Sergey, I agree in my opinion.  Sure, I'll pass your feedback again to the Marketing Group - appreciate much.

Regards, Kittur

0 Kudos
Alexander_N_
Beginner

Yeah that's great idea and if it become real I'm going to buy it immediately!

0 Kudos