Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Intel C++ Compiler installation issues

postaquestion
Beginner

I have 2xQuad DL380G5 (based on Xeon 5460) RedHat Linux Enterprise 5 system. Built EL5 on the latest RedHat download. I tried to install Intel C++ Prof Compiler (both 32/Intel64 and just Intel64) using install.sh script and ran across RPM dependency problem (some libstdc++.so missing)

1. I believe I have 64bit arch (x86_64) but which download should I try?
2. I have the latest RedHat, so I doubt a library would be missing
3. I noticed the install created both ../cc and ../cce directories under /opt/intel. I am interested in just one compiler/debugger running on my EL5.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You would likely find it worthwhile to use Red Hat 5.1 or newer (even though the compiler notes may indicate that it wasn't fully tested). You need the RH x86-64 OS to support 64-bit compilation and execution; it looks like you have that. In case you are trying RH 5.0, in addition to installing the gcc development option, you will need to find the 32-bit libstdc++ libcompat .rpm and install it. I could find no high level menu option which included it. I'm not sure what you mean by doubting a library could be missing. It should be on the install DVD, but would not be installed unless you took specific action. This is not the only rough edge in RH 5.0.
The /opt/intel/cc directory is the 32-bit compiler, which depends on the 32-bit g++ installation. /cce is the 64-bit compiler. You probably installed everything from the 32/Intel64 installer. The Intel64 part of that installer would be identical to the separate Intel64 installer of the same package version. The 32- and 64-bit compilers are independent; either can build and run on the x86-64 OS, except that the 64-bit debugger must be used. If you want to remove the 32-bit compiler, you can use the uninstall script, probably in /opt/intel/cc/bin/.
0 Kudos