Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Intel C++ Compiler not visible in VS 2010

Thomas_S_2
Beginner

Hi,

I installed Intel c++ and fortran composer (intel parallel studio xe 2013) on my computers (PC, Laptop) with vs 2010 already installed .

Within vs 2010 only the intel fortran compile is visable (projects can be created) but not the intel c++ compiler.

Why??

Best Regards.

Thomas

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
What is Edition of Visual Studio 2010?
0 Kudos
Thomas_S_2
Beginner

Vs 2010 professional

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Attached is a very simple VS 2008 ( Professional Edition ) solution. It has a project that is configured to use Intel and Microsoft C++ compilers. Try to open and build it. Please report results.
0 Kudos
Thomas_S_2
Beginner

After vs 2010 converted the project file .vcxproj I could run the project.As far as I can see only the MS C++ compiler was used

0 Kudos
Thomas_S_2
Beginner

See attached file please.

0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Did you by any chance installed Beta versions/ Downgraded your compiler/Composer version before installing the present composer? Let me know if this article can help you :- http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/error-with-intelpgk-while-using-visual-studio-integration/ .

Regards,

Sukruth H V 

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

You need to set the project to use Intel C++ first. 

Right click on the project name, select "Intel Composer XE 2013 -> Use Intel C++". It will set the "tool set" to "intel C++ 13.0". 

Then "rebuild". 

Jennifer 

0 Kudos
Thomas_S_2
Beginner

Hi Jennifer,

thanks for your reply this worked. But the question still remains. Why is the intel c++ compiler not displayed if I want to create a new project?

Hi Sukruth,

I never installed a Beta version or downgraded. I started "clean" from scratch.

Best Regards to all, THANK you responding to my question

Thomas

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Do you mean why did Microsoft make new projects default to 32-bit CL, apparently with options to change the default only among Microsoft 32-bit languages?  Discussing that here won't influence Microsoft.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Thomas S. wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

thanks for your reply this worked. But the question still remains. Why is the intel c++ compiler not displayed if I want to create a new project?

Because our compiler is 100% compatible with MSVC except no /clr support. So any VC project without using /clr can be compiled with Intel C++ Compiler. If we provide Intel C++ project, it will be very similar to what MSVC already have. It's duplication of work. But we're thinking of something that might be helping new users in this area right now. Let me include this thread to that ticket.  

Also note: you can do mix-match as well: meaning building some files with MSVC and some with Intel C++. 

Jennifer 

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Why is the intel c++ compiler not displayed if I want to create a new project?.. This is by design. When a new C/C++ project is created it is configured to use Microsoft C++ compiler. Later, a developer can switch to Intel C++ compiler, and of course, back to Microsoft C++ compiler.
0 Kudos