Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Intel C++ Pro Windows uninstall problem

pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
I recently uninstalled Intel C++ Pro and just noticed that while debugging I get an exception from the Intel parallel debugger extensions. Do I need to do something special to fully install the ICL package?

I forgot to mention that I had Intel C++ Pro (full package) version 11.1 installed and integrated with VS2008 on 64-bit XP. I also have VS2005 installed on this machine, but it does not get much use.

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rob_Mueller-Albrecht
Quoting - pvonkaenel
I recently uninstalled Intel C++ Pro and just noticed that while debugging I get an exception from the Intel parallel debugger extensions. Do I need to do something special to fully install the ICL package?

I forgot to mention that I had Intel C++ Pro (full package) version 11.1 installed and integrated with VS2008 on 64-bit XP. I also have VS2005 installed on this machine, but it does not get much use.

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

not knowing the exact exception or error message you see let me have a stab at what might be the problem. In general a Compiler package uninstall should uninstall theParallel Debugger Extension completely as well.

One thing that happens when the debugger extension is installed is that we add in Visual Studio some debugger exceptions that get triggered on thread sharing or functionreentrancy. I could see that especially on VS 2005 there could be a problem with deactivating those again.

1) Please in Visual Studio go to the Debug pulldown menu and select Exceptions ....

2) In the Exceptions dialog expand the treeview for Win32Excpetions.

3) Disable the 3 entries IntelParallel Debugger Extenstion Exception 0-2.

If I am right with my assumption than this should fix your problem. This would however also be an installer defect. Please let me know what you find so I can file a defect if my suspicion is correct.

Thanks, Rob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rob_Mueller-Albrecht
Quoting - pvonkaenel

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

not knowing the exact exception or error message you see let me have a stab at what might be the problem. In general a Compiler package uninstall should uninstall theParallel Debugger Extension completely as well.

One thing that happens when the debugger extension is installed is that we add in Visual Studio some debugger exceptions that get triggered on thread sharing or functionreentrancy. I could see that especially on VS 2005 there could be a problem with deactivating those again.

1) Please in Visual Studio go to the Debug pulldown menu and select Exceptions ....

If I am right with my assumption than this should fix your problem. This would however also be an installer defect. Please let me know what you find so I can file a defect if my suspicion is correct.

Thanks, Rob

0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III

Hi Peter,

Thanks, Rob

That was it, thanks! All 3 Parallel debugger exceptions were listed and enabled. I have unchecked them, and all is well now. I have a second machine also running 64-bit XP and VS2008. This machine also still had the parallel debugger extension exceptions enabled even though ICL had been uninstalled. At least the problem is repeatable.

Thanks again,
Peter
0 Kudos
Rob_Mueller-Albrecht
Quoting - pvonkaenel

That was it, thanks! All 3 Parallel debugger exceptions were listed and enabled. I have unchecked them, and all is well now. I have a second machine also running 64-bit XP and VS2008. This machine also still had the parallel debugger extension exceptions enabled even though ICL had been uninstalled. At least the problem is repeatable.

Thanks again,
Peter

Great - Thanks. This looks like an installer defect then after all. I'll escalate it and try to ensure it gets fixed.

0 Kudos