Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Intel C++ compiler 2017 MPI 64-bit C++ support

William_D_2
Beginner

Hey,

Is there any way to get 64-bit support for the Intel MPI libraries in 2017 for C++ applications. It used to be part of the 2016 package and it was removed. I need some of the newer features of many of the other packages provided by Cluster XE but the MPI in my opinion has gone through a downgrade.

Thanks,

Will

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It was 32bit mpi support which was removed in 2017. Among things to check if on Windows would be whether global environment variables from previous installations are cleaned up.

0 Kudos
William_D_2
Beginner

I feel the need to point out that the release notes for 17.0 patch 2 state 

- (SDK only) Support for Intel(R) 64 architecture and Intel(R) MIC Architecture clusters using:

Intel(R) C++ Compiler for Linux* OS version 14.0 through 16.0

Intel(R) Fortran Compiler for Linux* OS version 14.0 through 16.0

GNU* C, C++ and Fortran 95 compilers

This to me implies that there is not support for 64-bit MPI calls in C++ applications.

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/8c/b0/intelmpi-2017-update2-release-notes-linux.pdf

And additionally the developer's reference also states for both linux and windows:

There is currently no support for C and C++ applications. 

This can be found in the section Miscellaneous>ILP64 Support

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/528842

0 Kudos
saravanan_R_1
Beginner

William D. wrote:

I feel the need to point out that the release notes for 17.0 patch 2 state 

- (SDK only) Support for Intel(R) 64 architecture and Intel(R) MIC Architecture clusters using:

Intel(R) C++ Compiler for Linux* OS version 14.0 through 16.0

Intel(R) Fortran Compiler for Linux* OS version 14.0 through 16.0

GNU* C, C++ and Fortran 95 compilers

This to me implies that there is not support for 64-bit MPI calls in C++ applications.

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/8c/b0/intelmpi-20...

And additionally the developer's reference also states for both linux and windows:

There is currently no support for C and C++ applications. 

This can be found in the section Miscellaneous>ILP64 Support

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/528842

Thank You .. I tried c++ on Linux os ...

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I need some of the newer features of many of the other packages provided by Cluster XE but the MPI in my opinion has >>gone through a downgrade. What removed MPI features are you talking about? I've been using Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Cluster Edition for Linux ( Updates 1 and 2 ) since Nov. 2016 and attached are two installation logs for your review: [ Update 1 ] ... Intel(R) MPI Library 2017 Update 1 1.0GB Intel MPI Benchmarks 2017 Update 1 Intel MPI Library for applications running on Intel(R) 64 Architecture Intel MPI Library for applications running on Intel(R) Many Integrated ... Installing Intel MPI Benchmarks 2017 Update 1 component... done -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Installing Intel MPI Library for applications running on Intel(R) 64 Architecture component... done -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Installing Intel MPI Library for applications running on Intel(R) Many Integrated Core Architecture component... done ... [ Update 2 ] ... Intel(R) MPI Library 2017 Update 2 1.0GB Intel MPI Benchmarks 2017 Update 1 Intel MPI Library for applications running on Intel(R) 64 Architecture Intel MPI Library for applications running on Intel(R) Many Integrated ... Installing Intel MPI Benchmarks 2017 Update 1 component... done -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Installing Intel MPI Library for applications running on Intel(R) 64 Architecture component... done -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Installing Intel MPI Library for applications running on Intel(R) Many Integrated Core Architecture component... done ...
0 Kudos