Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Intel C++ compiler XE 12.1 for Visual Studio 2015 Professional

Xin_L_
Beginner

Hello,

I have some old code that need Intel C++ compiler XE 12.1 to compile. I have Visual Studio 2015 Professional on my laptop with Window 7 OS.

I installed the compiler XE 12.1, but during installation, it said some components cannot be installed because it requires a Microsoft development product (See attached picture). I installed it anyways, but VS 2015 cannot detect the compiler from tools.

For VS, I already have the "Common Tools for Visual C++ 2015" installed (which I think is needed). What else do I need?

Is it because VS 2015 dose not support this compiler XE 12.1? If so, is there any workaround so that I can compile my old code in VS 2015?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Installation warning.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

This is true that only the latest Intel compiler versions can work with current VS2015 updates, and there is no viable way to revert to early versions of VS2015.  Instead, you would need to consult the release notes of your installed Intel tools to see which VS versions are eligible.

It seems unlikely that you would require such an old version of ICL, so if you have a preference for VS2015, the latest ICL would be preferable.

0 Kudos
Xin_L_
Beginner

Thanks, Tim. I have installed the latest ICL: Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017. And I can see it from VS: Toos ->Options (picture attached).

When I built the program: I still get the error: The build tools for Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.1 (Platform Toolset = 'Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.1') cannot be found. To build using the Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.1 build tools, please install Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.1 build tools. Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution".

I tried to retarget solution, but it did not work. And I don't find any solutions for this. Could you give me some suggestions how to compile my old program? Thanks.

XinTool_Options.PNG 

0 Kudos
Xin_L_
Beginner
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...If so, is there any workaround so that I can compile my old code in VS 2015? You can use Any C/C++ compiler for Windows with Any version of VS using a Makefile Project ( take a look at VS projects Wizard ) for all cases when a C/C++ compiler doesn't have an explicit integration with a VS.
0 Kudos