Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

Intel C++ compiler crashes (internal error: backend signals)

wjakob
Beginner

Hi, when attempting to compile a project using the latest Mac OS C++ compiler, it chokes on one of the cpp files, crashing with(0): internal error: backend signalsthere are no other messages emitted when compiling that file. The version I use is icpc version 12.1.5 (gcc version 4.2.1 compatibility). The file is unfortunately too large to reproduce here, and I have been unable to turn it into a few lines that still trigger the crash, hence I wonder what will be the best way to proceed. If desired, I could email a preprocessed version of it to one of the Intel compiler developers.Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting wjakob
...The file is unfortunately too large to reproduce here, and I have been unable to turn it into a few lines
that still trigger the crash...

Did you try to comment different blocks of that large source file? That simple method works well and I used it many times.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Some of these backend signal problems involve a source large enough to exceed some internal limit. You could attach the pre-processed file to a problem report on premier.intel.com, or to this thread (private response if you choose).
0 Kudos
Greeshma_Y_Intel
Employee
Hi I have verified that this issue has been fixed in the latest release of the compiler - Version 13.0 Update 1. You may download this compiler package from our Registration Center : https://registrationcenter.intel.com/ Thanks Greeshma
0 Kudos