Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

Intel Compiler Classic 19.2 (2021.1.2) - Implicit capture of this is deprecated

jase439
Beginner

Hello,

When recently compiling a bit of code using the classic compiler included in the oneAPI HPC toolkit, I encountered the following warning:

warning #4070: the implicit by-copy capture of "this" is deprecated

This is a new warning and the error occurs inside of a lambda expression which does a default capture-by-ref, namely [&]

Per the link below, it would seem the committee decided to disallow implicit capture of this with [=] but to allow it via [&]

Deprecate implicit capture of this via [=] (open-std.org)

Here is a snippet from the relevant text:

• P0806R1: Remove the [&] part; only deprecate [=] now, as requested by EWG. Rebased on current working paper wording.

Historical note: Revision 0 proposed to deprecate the implicit capture of this for both [=] and [&] capture-defaults. During discussion in Albuquerque, EWG wanted to retain [&] as an idiomatic way to capture this and only supported the deprecation the case of [=].

I believe the committee adopted this recommendation in C++20?

My understanding of the spec is that [=] no longer captures "this" (or "*this") by value implicitly but requires [=, this] (or [=, *this]), but [&] continues to work as before capturing "this" as before, no?

EDIT: incidentally, changing [&] to [&, this] resolves the warning but this is syntactically redundant.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Khalik_K_Intel

Hello,

The problem you reported is fixed in our latest Intel oneAPI C++ Compiler Classic version, 2021.3. This is a part of Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit and can be downloaded here: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/hpc-toolkit/download.html

We have also checked it on our end. This issue has been resolved and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread.

Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We are looking into this issue and we will get back to you with the updates.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
Khalik_K_Intel

Hello,

Could you please send us a reproducer and indicate how you compile it, so we can try it on our end?

Regards,

Khalik.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

Yes, I imagine this will be simple to isolate. I will post something here later today schedule permitting.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

Attached.

Compiled in Visual Studio 2019 16.9.2 using "legacy" Intel Classic Compiler 19.2 (2021.1.2) with /std:c++latest and /Od. Target plataform x64. 

(apparently I can't upload any text files to this forum because of some mime type nonsense and I'm tired of trying so I will paste)

#include <algorithm>
#include <iterator>
#include <vector>

template <typename T>
class Tester
   {
   public:
      Tester() { }
      explicit Tester(std::vector<T> const &initial_vals) : m_dst(initial_vals) { }

public:
      void CopyOddUniques(std::vector<T> const &src)
         {
         // std::copy_if(src.cbegin(), src.cend(), back_inserter(m_dst), [=](T const &value) // ok - correctly warns 4070, capture-by-value of this is now disallowed 
         std::copy_if(src.cbegin(), src.cend(), back_inserter(m_dst), [&](T const &value) // bug - warn 4070, capture-by-ref should allow implicit capture of this
            {
            return std::find(m_dst.cbegin(), m_dst.cend(), value) == m_dst.cend() && value % 2 != 0;
            }
         );
         }

void CopyEvenUniques(std::vector<T> const &src)
         {
         // std::copy_if(src.cbegin(), src.cend(), back_inserter(m_dst), [=, this](T const &value) // ok
         std::copy_if(src.cbegin(), src.cend(), back_inserter(m_dst), [&, this](T const &value) // ok - resolves 4070, but is syntactically redundant and should not be required
            { 
            return std::find(m_dst.cbegin(), m_dst.cend(), value) == m_dst.cend() && value % 2 == 0;
            }
         );
         }

private:
      std::vector<T> m_dst;
   };

int main()
{
   std::vector src { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 };
   Tester t(std::vector { 1, 2, 5, 6 });
   t.CopyOddUniques(src);
   t.CopyEvenUniques(src);

return 0;
}

0 Kudos
Khalik_K_Intel

Thank you for the reproducer.

We were able to reproduce issue on our end (we also reproduced it on Linux).

The implicit capture of "this" was deprecated in C++20, so this warning message is unexpected when doing capture-by-reference [&].

I have forwarded this case to the development team to get it fixed.

In the meantime, you could use [&, this] which is syntactically redundant, as you mentioned.

The other workaround you can use is via usage of Intel oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler, which does not display this warning message.

Kind regards,

Khalik.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

Glad you could reproduce and thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
Khalik_K_Intel

Hello,

The problem you reported is fixed in our latest Intel oneAPI C++ Compiler Classic version, 2021.3. This is a part of Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit and can be downloaded here: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/hpc-toolkit/download.html

We have also checked it on our end. This issue has been resolved and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread.

Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Thanks.

0 Kudos