Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Intel Compiler and Microsoft Visual Studio

claudiobaezar
Beginner

Hello,

I have big experience developing on Linux, however, recently must be ported code to windows 7 64 bits and windows xp 32 bits.

I downloaded Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011 for windows, but I when try compile code, appear the following error:

icl: error #10114: Microsoft Visual C++ not found in path

Is mandatory to have installed Microsoft Visual Studio?

Thanx

claudio

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Claudio,
Yes, to have full IDE support within Visual Studio you need one of the Microsoft Visual Studio versions installed to run the Intel Compiler. For command line development only on Windows XP 32-bit you need at least theVisual Studio Expressor a Windows SDK Update for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 to run the Intel Compiler on Windows 7 64-bit.
Please refer to the Intel Parallel Studio XE and Intel Composer XE release notes for further system requirements.
Regards, Hubert.
0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee
Hi claudio,
Yes you require Visual studio because Intel compiler(ICC/ICL) uses some of the underlying library signaturesof GCC in Unix platform and libraries signatures of Microsoft for compiling.

Thanks & Regards,
Sukruth.H.V
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Just to clarify, the Intel compiler uses the linker and runtime libraries of Microsoft Visual C++* on Windows* and of glibc/libstdc++/binutils on Linux*. We also utilize the Visual Studio* IDE on Windows* as well instead of implementing our own (although this is not strictly a requirement - you can do command line/makefile builds as well).
0 Kudos