Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Intel Compiler crashing after update to Xcode 10.2

Trifud
New Contributor I

Yesterday I updated my Mac from macOS 10.14.3 and and Xcode 10.1 to macOS 10.14.4 and Xcode 10.2. Today I figured out that the Intel C++ compiler doesn't work with these updates. I have Intel C++ 2019.3 and it crashes with these error messages:

": internal error: ** The compiler has encountered an unexpected problem. ** Segmentation violation signal raised. ** Access violation or stack overflow. Please contact Intel Support for assistance.

Maybe it is a good idea for Intel to test the beta versions of Xcode and Visual Studio so that they are prepared in advance. It is also a shame that more than four months since the release of Visual Studio 2017.9 (November 13, 2018), still there is no version of the Intel Compiler that is compatible with it: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-compilers-integration-support-for-microsoft-visual-studio-2017

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

Did this error occur before you update your MacOS and Xcode?

0 Kudos
Trifud
New Contributor I

Yes, it worked before the update. But now I realize that the problem might be with Apple. I got an update for macOS and Xcode Command Tools but not for Xcode itself. Today I got the Xcode update. I will see if it compiles on Monday.

0 Kudos
Trifud
New Contributor I

The problem is still present.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

It is recommended to use a supported OS and Xcode with a specific Intel Compiler version while we are working to support the later OS/Xcode in the next compiler version.

0 Kudos
Trifud
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Kerry_K_
Novice

Were you able to resolve the issue? I'm seeing the same after upgrading to 10.14.4 from 10.13.x and then installing the latest intel compilers.

0 Kudos
Trifud
New Contributor I

Kerry K. wrote:

Were you able to resolve the issue? I'm seeing the same after upgrading to 10.14.4 from 10.13.x and then installing the latest intel compilers.

No, I still have this issue. If you have an Apple developer account, I recommend that you download and use the previous version of Xcode.

0 Kudos
rwaltz
Beginner

I encountered the exact same issue.  I removed Xcode 10.2 and re-installed previously working Xcode 10.1, Command Line Tools 10.1 from Apple developer account.  Unfortunately, this still did not fix the issue.   Has anyone had success by reverting to Xcode 10.1?  This macOS 10.14.4 update has turned my machine into a very expensive paperweight.  As a side note, changing optimization from -O2 to -O0 avoids the error for my application, but is not a solution (-O1 also generates the error).

0 Kudos
Trifud
New Contributor I

So the issue then is with macOS 10.14.4?

0 Kudos
rwaltz
Beginner

That's my best guess at the moment, though I can't imagine what else in the 10.14.4 update besides the updates to XCode and Command Line Tools would be causing these issues.  I've triple-checked that I am back to using XCode 10.1 and Command Line Tools 10.1, but it's always possible I've missed something, which is why I am curious if reverting to XCode 10.1 has worked for anyone else.  I've also tried re-installing Intel C++ 2019.3 compilers after re-installing XCode 10.1.  It would be great to get some feedback/updates from Intel on the issue.

0 Kudos
Kerry_K_
Novice

I reverted to 10.14.3 and am not getting that error anymore, at least so far after making a few code projects and running them. But who know's what lurks around the corner. Bummer that a minor macOS update messes things up so badly. 

0 Kudos
Trifud
New Contributor I

Running an out-of-date OS is a great security risk. Intel shouldn't be requiring us to do so in order to be able to use their products.

I think that a reputable company like Intel should be running tests on Beta software (macOS, Windows, Xcode, Visual Studio...) and be prepared for this sort of issues.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

We do test with Beta and release candidates.  Sometimes like this a vendor (Apple, Microsoft), will drop a surprise between the final beta or release candidate and their shipped version.  This is the case here, no chance to catch it in beta.

We'll have a fix in Update 4 which should be released in a few weeks.

0 Kudos