Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Intel ICX vs DPC++ 2023

Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi,

if I use any sycl code I have to use the Intel DPC++ compiler. If I do not use sycl I can/should/must??? use Intel C++ compiler (ICX). Is there any problem or disadvantage if I 'always' use DPC++?

I do not understand why there are 2 compilers? DPC++ will compile my project even if I do not use any sycl - so there must be a reason why there is ICX for that case.

Can someone please shed some light into this when and why to use ICX or DCP++?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewC
New Contributor III

ICL = legacy 'classic' Intel C/C++ compiler , goes back many years. Soon to be "deprecated" and removed from OneAPI distro.

ICX = new Intel C/C++ compiler based on Clang

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. I know the difference between ICC and ICX, I'm asking about the difference between ICX and DCP. I just saw that I have some typos in my original question that may cases this confusion. I will fix that.

I know that I can use ICX for my C++ projects, but I have a few of the projects of my solution that can make good use and will have performance advantages if I use sycl. So I have to use DCP (for my understanding). So I wonder if it makes sense to change the complete solution to use DCP instead of ICX - if the project uses sycl or not. Is there any disadvantage if I use DCP for a project that does NOT use sycl?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
SeshaP_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

>>> If I do not use sycl I can/should/must??? use Intel C++ compiler (ICX). Is there any problem or disadvantage if I 'always' use DPC++? I do not understand why there are 2 compilers? Can someone please shed some light into this when and why to use ICX or DCP++?

You need to use the Intel DPC++ compiler for the DPC++ project and cannot use the Intel C++ compiler for a DPC++ Project.

Intel DPC++ compiler(dpcpp) is used to execute the C++ with SYCL code. Intel C++ compiler(icpx) is only used to execute the C++ source code.

Intel DPC++ compiler(dpcpp) is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. You can use icpx -fsycl instead of dpcpp.

>>> So I wonder if it makes sense to change the complete solution to use DCP instead of ICX - if the project uses sycl or not. Is there any disadvantage if I use DCP for a project that does NOT use sycl?

If the project uses any C++ with SYCL code it needs to have the DPC++ compiler. You can also use the DPC++ compiler for running a C++ project that does not use any SYCL code.

Please find the below link for more details.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/get-started-with-dpcpp-compiler/top/get-started-on-linux.html

Please let us know if you have any further queries.

Thanks and Regards,

Pendyala Sesha Srinivas

0 Kudos
SeshaP_Intel

Hi,

Has the information provided above helped? If yes, could you please confirm whether we can close this thread from our end?

Thanks and Regards,

Pendyala Sesha Srinivas

0 Kudos
SeshaP_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks and Regards,

Pendyala Sesha Srinivas

0 Kudos