Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7943 Discussions

Intel Parallel Debugger Extension always active when in debug mode ( Windows)

AndrewC
New Contributor III
  • When compiling any executable ( e.g. "hello world") in Debug mode using the Intel Compiler 12.1 Update 9 and using /Qopemnp then the executable is always linked with PDBX.DLL ( Visual Studio 2010)
  • I do not have /debug:parallel set
  • When the executable starts, the Parallel Debugger Extension throws an exception as below.

This is driving me , simply nuts, as you cannot seem to disable the Parallel Debugger Extension exception handling.

So every single debug session results in a trip to the Debug/Exceptions to disable the exceptions.

This is 100% reproducible

So questions

• Why is the PDBX.DLL now linked to the exe even though /debug:parallel is not set
  • Why does PDBX.DLL catch some exception every time at .exe launch.
  • Why cannot I disable, permently, the Parallel Debugger Extension exceptions

> KernelBase.dll!RaiseException() + 0x3d bytes
libiomp5md.dll!000000001005066f()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for libiomp5md.dll]
libiomp5md.dll!000000001004eec4()
libiomp5md.dll!000000001008392f()
ntdll.dll!LdrpRunInitializeRoutines() + 0x1e8 bytes
ntdll.dll!LdrpInitializeProcess() - 0x11da bytes
ntdll.dll!string "Enabling heap debug options\\n"() - 0x45fe9 bytes
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk() + 0xe bytes

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
I can reproduce the exception issue. Let me check.
0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III
I completely uninstalled all my Intel Compiler software ( Composer, Parallel Studio etc) as I had multiple versions. Then re-installed Parallel Studio XE SP1 and lo and behold the problem went away.

I did not re-install the latest Inspector XE Update 9. that may have triggered the issue as that was the last thing I did before the problems started.
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Good catch. Yes, I've installed Inspector XE Update 9 too over the actual Parallel Studio on my test machine.
Let me check. Thanks for the hint. Hubert.
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
It's an issue with the coexistance of the Intel Inspector XE 2011 Update 9 and the Intel Parallel Debugger Extension Update 9 (as part of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011 SP1 Update 2).
Investigation is ongoing. The only workaround for now is to uninstall Inspector Update 9 and re-install Update 8 from Parallel Studio or uninstall the Parallel Debugger Extension which will stillthrow the exception (unneccessarily), but catch it correctly and will not have anyimpact on debugging. However, with uninstallation of the Debugger Extension you will not have the Data Sharing Detection feature for parallel debugging of OpenMP apps available.
I'll keep you updated. Thanks again forraising this issue.
Regards,
Hubert.
0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III
At least we know what is going on... I am in the clear as I just did not (re-)install Inspector Update 9 after cleaning up all my Composer/Parallel studio versions ( long overdue!). No big deal, but glad I managed to highlight this.
0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III
Just a point, I do not think it is possible to "uninstall the Parallel Debugger Extension", as the compiler seems to force a link against this in debug mode, not matter what....
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
I created a knowledge base article for this: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/unhandled-exceptions-when-debugging-openmp-applications/
You can uninstall the Parallel Debugger Extnesion. Best is to do it via Control Panel. Run the C++/Parallel Studio XE Uninstall/Change and deselect the Parallel Debugger Extension located under the C++ Composer XE component.
0 Kudos