Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7957 Discussions

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2020 update 1 macOS, command line option with symlinks issue

yaf
New Contributor I

I installed the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2020 Update 1 on my macOS (Catalina/10.15.5) and chose only the command line option and not the Xcode integration.

I hoped that I can manually use intel compilers when I need them and from a terminal session, by running `source <install_dir>/bin/compilervars.sh intel64`.

But, after installation, it automatically creates symlinks to /usr/local/bin, where all the compilers are on my PATH.

Is there a way to prevent this behavior except manually removing all the created symlinks?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RahulV_intel

Hi,

Ideally, sourcing the compilers with script file (like you mentioned) should place the compilers in path and the global behavior is not expected.

I shall escalate this case to the concerned team. Thanks for reporting the issue.

--Rahul

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Do you have another system with older macOS (e.g. Catalina/10.15.1) to try and see if the problem still persists?

0 Kudos
yaf
New Contributor I

| Do you have another system with older macOS (e.g. Catalina/10.15.1) to try and see if the problem still persists?

No, I do not.

Currently, I resolved the issue by modifying the intel linking script

compilers_and_libraries_2020.1.216/mac/link_install.sh

and removing all the created links in

/usr/local/bin

by

# remove all links
COMPXE_RMLINKS() {
    PRINT "COMPXE_RMLINKS()"
    if [ ${TARGET} == "mac" ]; then
        # remove links for binary and non-env script program files
        for THIS_FILE in $INTEL_PROGRAM_FILES_LIST; do
            if [ -e "$ROOT_DIR"/usr/local/bin/$THIS_FILE ]; then
                rm $RM_OPTIONS "$ROOT_DIR"/usr/local/bin/$THIS_FILE 2>/dev/null
            fi
            if [ -e "$ROOT_DIR"/usr/local/bin/$THIS_FILE-$VERSION ]; then
                rm $RM_OPTIONS "$ROOT_DIR"/usr/local/bin/$THIS_FILE-$VERSION 2>/dev/null
            fi
            if [ -e "$ROOT_DIR"/usr/local/bin/$THIS_FILE-$VERSION.$VERSION_UPDATE.$PACKAGE_NUM ]; then
                rm $RM_OPTIONS "$ROOT_DIR"/usr/local/bin/$THIS_FILE-$VERSION.$VERSION_UPDATE.$PACKAGE_NUM 2>/dev/null
            fi
        done
    fi
}

The other major problem/issue is reported before:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-C-Compiler/catastrophic-error-Cannot-open-source-file-quot-stdio-h-quot/m-p/1186099#M37139 

The same thing is happening here. It is simply failing on `hello.c` test case.

#include <stdio.h>
int main() {
   // printf() displays the string inside quotation
   printf("Hello, World!");
   return 0;
}
>> icc hello.c
hello.c(1): catastrophic error: cannot open source file "stdio.h"
  #include <stdio.h>
                    ^

compilation aborted for hello.c (code 4)
0 Kudos