Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Intel Static Security Analysis

Daniel_D
Beginner

I have a question concerning the Intel SSA. When I rebuild the solution for Intel SSA all projects build fine. I expected some summary or even some warning for my project but nothing special happens. It looks exactly like a regular rebuild of the solution. Do I miss something here? Do I have a result file somewhere on my driver (could not find something)?

Please advise what I should see after the rebuild for Intel SSA finishes.

Daniel

0 Kudos
19 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
This is probably normal, the SSA suppresses all the outputs you would get otherwise and makes only the SSA reports, which (in the current versions) require Inspector to display, as I understand it.
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Daniel,
SSA is a feature of the Compiler + Inspector. The Compiler is being used as front end only to inspect the code and the Inspector is automatically being invoked and displays the results of the static analysis. SSA is enabled with compiler switch /Qdiag-enable:sc[1|2|3] via the project properties > Configuration Properties > C/C++ > Diagnostics Intel C++ > Level of Static Security analysis: .....
When this option is set the compiler doesn't build any code; it's just for analysis purposes. After analysis of the SSA results with the Inspector XE and modifying the code properly you disable the /Qdiag-enable:scx option again and do a normal project build.
Does this answer your question?
Regards,
Hubert.
0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

I'm afraid that this does not answer my question. I have a solution with a hundred or more files. That is really surprising and unlikely that there is not a single issue that is found by the Intel SSA I know how to enable it and how to define the certain level of details but I really expected at least a window that there is not a single problem found- If there is a problem found I expected a little more detailed explanations what and where a problem is suspected. But I never saw any kind of windows or message even nothing that indicated the end of the analysis. That is very strange and I thought that this could be at least something that needs some improvement.

But anyway thanks for your answers.

Daniel

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Daniel,
Doesn't the Inspector pop up automatically after the analysis?
If not, please check in the output windowif there are build issues so that SSA cannot finished.
SSA doesn't performa complete build, the compiler is used as front end only, but maybe there are problems during preprossing/parsing etc. at your end. Could you please check?
Since SSA is availalbe only with a Studio installation, could you also check whether you have a full Studio (Intel Parallel or C++ Studio installed INCLUDING a valid Studio license!).
Hubert.
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Daniel,
Just wanted to know whether SSA now works on your side and gave you valuable results. Any comments or feedback on SSA is very appreciated.
Regards, Hubert.
0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi Hubert,

Thanks for following up this issue. Unfortunately I cannot get any other results is I use SAA that I get using the regular compiler. After compiling finishes there is no popup window or any other kind of message that lets me know that everything passes the SSA!? I have valid licenses for VS and Intel C++ studio XE. I also change the settings in the Tools->Options->Intel Inspector XE 2011->Static Security Analyses but nothing changed.

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee

Daniel,

Thanks! I guess that shows the issue. You need to specify the SSA option in the Composer XE properties. The settings under Tools -> Options -> Intel Inspector XE 2011 -> Static Security Analyses is for configuration of the output path and action only.

The option must be enabled via the Project Properties > Configuration Properties > C/C++ > Diagnostics [Intel C++] > Level of Static Security Analysis: /Qdiag-enable:sc1|2|3. Default is 'None' and if you configure SSA only under the Inspector Tools Options nothing happens.

Please have a try with specifying /Qdiag-enable:scx via the Composer Properties.

Hubert.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner
Hi Hubert,

Please have a look at the complete command lione - I think Qdiag is set as you suggests:

Daniel
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Daniel,
That looks good. So with this settings, isn't there any 'InspectorXE Results' projectbeing produced in the Solution Explorer? Or alternatively, look at the project working directory (where the .sln file is located) if there is a 'My Inspector XE Results - ' directory?
Hubert.
0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi Hubert,

In the folder where the .sln is located I do not see any Inspector XE results folder. But in the project-folder (which is a subdirectory of the director where the solution is located) I see this folder:

Contents of My Inspector XE Results

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Daniel,
Thanks. The Inspector results directory r000sc is missing here. Could you search for that directory in your project tree? If it's existing somewhere, could you look inside whether there is a r000sc.inspxe file that could be started. If that all is existing and running, you have a configuration problem.
Hubert.
0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner
No directory found. ;(
0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hubert,

I removed all the Intel Results- folders I found in the solution-tree. Also I removed the Intel_SSA project settings so that I can start from scratch with SSA. Then I execute Rebuild Solution for Intel Static I created the project-settings from my debug-environment and left all others options on their default values. Then click on create & build. The compiler compiles all project find without any error and nothing else happens. Thats it. I checked the solution tree and found no a single Item results folder. That seems like a configuration problem on my machines, but I have no idea what that could be? Do you have any suggestion what I can do next?

Daniel

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee

Daniel,

A repair install of the C++ Sutdio components may help. But in case you installed the latest Intel C++ Studio XE 2011 SP1 Update 1 only I recommend to install the more recent updates of the Intel C++ Composer XE (Update 8), Intel Inspector XE (Update 8) and Intel VTune Amplifier XE (Update 7) which were released later than the C++ Studio XE.

Please compare your 'Help > About Microsoft Visual Studio' dialog with the list of the following most recent Studio components and update your installation as required:

Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 Update 8 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, Version 12.1.1106.2010, Copyright 2002-2011 Intel Corporation

Intel Inspector XE 2011 Update 8, (build 206270), Copyright 2009-2011 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 Update 7, (build 206420), Copyright 2009-2011 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

If you need help in downloading the updates, let me know.
Regards,
Hubert.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi Hubert,

I will reinstall all the components. I have all the versions you mentioned except for the Composer XER 2011 I have only Update 7. Please advise me how to download Update 8. Do you recommend uninstalling the components first?
Daniel

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Daniel,
You don't need to uninstall Update 7 first; taking a backup of the projects should be done. When installing Update 8 a dialog is shown that lets you choose to keep the current versionor to replace the current version (which I recommend).
The download link of the Intel Composer XE 2011 for Windows* is:
https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=1410
Hope this helps.
Hubert.
0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hubert,

I did what you suggest, update the composer to Update 8 - everything without any success ;( No folder is generated!
Daniel

0 Kudos
Andres_M_Intel4
Employee
Daniel,
I had a similar question and you might find useful the following short article I have created after a quick hack to display the analysis results right in the console.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-automate-static-security-analysis-with-intelr-c-compiler-for-linux/
-- Andres
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Daniel,
Did install the newest updates (Intel Composer XE Update 9, Intel Inspector XE Update 9)and check again?
Hubert.
0 Kudos