Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Intel asm question

grndfl
Beginner
Hi
Can the Linux version of the Intel c++ compiler handle
x86 assembly language through assembly file input(.s)? I've only managed it to accept files containing the AT&T equivalent source successfully. It seems strange that Intel's compiler doesn't support their own assembly language.

/Dan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Do you mean that icc -use-msasm doesn't work for your case?
If you mean the assembler (gas), does .intel_syntax not work for you, with or without one of the prefix specifiers?
Bugs for icc would be submitted on premier.intel.com, for gas on binutils bugzilla.
0 Kudos
grndfl
Beginner
Thanks for your answer Tim!
The -use-msasm option only works for inline assembly, right?
I want to assemble and link a pure assembly file (.s) with x86 styled coding, not the AT&T style used in GAS. I know there are free assemblers like NASM and stuff but I would really like to use the Intel Compiler. Is this possible, or does it only support AT&T styling together with GAS?

/ Dan
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you use .s source code, there is nothing special about the Intel compiler, it goes right through to the same assembler (normally gas). This is why I suggested the intel mnemonics setting for gnu as.
0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
grndfl:
The -use-msasm option only works for inline assembly, right?
I want to assemble and link a pure assembly file (.s) with x86 styled coding, not the AT&T style used in GAS. I know there are free assemblers like NASM and stuff but I would really like to use the Intel Compiler. Is this possible, or does it only support AT&T styling together with GAS?

/ Dan

Yes, the -use-msasm switch only applies to inline assembly. A .s file is simply passed through to gas
0 Kudos