Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Intel c++ on Ubuntu Linux, and 64bit long long int?

joncamp1
Beginner

(1) I am getting Ubuntu Linux on a 64 bit system, and wishing to run Intel c++ on it. Does it run on Ubuntu 64 bit? Or maybe I should ask, what Linux distributions will Intel c++ run on?

(2) Also, I am writing applications that manage very large files, over 9 gigs. GNU C++ and will not handle files over 2 gigs, GNU C++ does not fully support "long long int" variables either. Does Intel c++ fully support "long long" 64 bit variables?

Thanks all.

Jon

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dale_S_Intel
Employee

I don't think Ubuntu is officially supported at the moment, but it's worth a try. It depends a loton what version of gcc and glibc it has, so you might be OK . I believe Redhat, Suse and Fedora are officially supported by our current version; see this link for details:

http://www3.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmona/eng/compilers/277618.htm#sysreq

Judging by the glibc versions covered, you might be ok with Breezy or Dapper.

As far as 64 bit support, can you be more specific? Are you talking about Intel 64 (e.g. Core 2), or IA64 (e.g. Itanium)? When you say that gcc does not "fully support" 'long long int', what do you mean? I presume you're referring to gcc on a 64 bit system?

Dale

0 Kudos