Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Intel compiler support on C++11 concurrency

salvatore_f_
Beginner

Hi,

I'm new of the Intel compiler. I'm interested about the support of the new C++11 by the Intel compiler and in particular on concurrency features. I read here http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/c0x-features-supported-by-intel-c-compiler that the latest version has complete support of atomic operations and partial support of thread-local storage. What are the limitation on using the thread-local storage?

Thank you
Salvatore

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Salvatore, >>... >>What are the limitation on using the thread-local storage? You can review a list of some limitations for TLS on MSDN: C Language Reference Topic: Thread Local Storage ( TLS )
0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee
We only have partial tls support because the standard requires support for dynamic initialization and destruction of thread-local variables, which no compiler has yet implemented. We also don’t support the exact keyword that the standard requires (the standard says the keyword is “thread_local” but we only support “__thread”).
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee
Thanks Judy, was about to respond to, but you already did, appreciate much. Regards, Kittur
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
>>We only have partial tls support because the standard requires support for dynamic initialization and destruction of thread-local variables, which no compiler has yet implemented. That should be a relatively straitforward thing to do.... Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos