Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Intel old 8086 C compilers (IC-86 V4.5 year 1992)

Laurent_G_1
Beginner

Hi,

I am a professional software developer and I need

to re-compile an old C application running on a 80186

CPU from Intel and I need to get the exactly same binary code

generated with the IC-86 Compiler V4.5.

I have already found the IC-86 version V4.0 from year 1988, but I really need the latest one V4.5 from year 1992.

Have you an idea where I could find it ?

Have Intel  this complier in its archives ?

Thanks you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Laurent Guillaume

0 Kudos
23 Replies
James_T_Intel

Hi Laurent,

All of the versions that we provide are available through the Intel® Registration Center (https://registrationcenter.intel.com).  I do not believe we have that version still available.  I'll move your question to the C Compiler forum in case they have additional information.

James.

0 Kudos
Laurent_G_1
Beginner

Hi James,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I tried to register this product in the Intel form.

Registering this very old product is impossible I have no serial

number from this epoch to supply.

I hope the C Compiler forum would help or if you could

contact some colleagues retired that could help too.

Thanks you,

and best regards,

Laurent.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Laurent, About three years ago I was able to get versions 7 and 8 of Intel C++ compiler for a project I've been working on. Unfortunately, it was from a Non Intel developer and I think it will be impossible to get a version 4.5 you need from Intel. >>...I have already found the IC-86 version V4.0 from year 1988, but I really need the latest one V4.5 from year 1992 I currently use 6 major brands of different C++ compilers ( 22 different versions in total and v7.x, v8.x, v12.x and v13.x of Intel ) and I wonder if you could share version 4.0? Could you upload it to a DropBox website? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... I do not believe we have that version still available. James, I see that older versions of Intel C++ compiler are still in demand and I really don't understand why Intel does Not keep in some Digital Archive of Legacy Software that absolutely invaluable software for some developers, researches, etc guys!
0 Kudos
Laurent_G_1
Beginner

Hi Sergey,

Here attached the Compiler and Assembler as you asked.

Hope that will help you.

Regards,

Laurent

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Here attached the Compiler and Assembler as you asked. Hi Laurent, Thank you for these uploads. I'll take a look, possibly this week, if version 4.0 will compile project sources. By the way, do you have a complete installation with an installer? Best regards, Sergey PS: I use Turbo C++ compiler version 3.x as a Primary Verificator of integrity of source codes and I'll investigate if Intel C++ compiler version 4.0 could be used for that task as well.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I really don't understand why Intel does Not keep in some Digital Archive of Legacy Software that >>absolutely invaluable software... Intel CEO, CTO and Top Level Managers, Just look how Oracle organized its own Digital Archive of Legacy Software in almost perfect way! ... http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/archive-139210.html PS: This is a web-link to Oracle Java Archive .
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Laurent, I've tried to compile a very simple test case and, I'd like to tell you, Intel iC-86 compiler can't be used for my needs. Unfortunately, it doesn't support C++ templates. My understanding is that this is a 1st generation C compiler from Intel dated back to 1985, and possibly earlier, for embedded C software development and binaries could be converted to MS-DOS ( versions 3, 4, 5, etc ) executable format. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Here is its Build Output: C:\WorkTemp\ICC40\Ic86>testapp.cmd C:\WorkTemp\ICC40\Ic86>echo off C:\WorkTemp\ICC40\Ic86>ic86.exe testapp.c DOS 5.0 (038-N) iC-86 COMPILER V4.0 Copyright 1980,87,88 Intel Corporation iC-86 COMPILATION COMPLETE. 0 WARNINGS, 0 ERRORS C:\WorkTemp\ICC40\Ic86>asm86.exe testmsg.asm DOS 5.0 (038-N) 8086/87/88/186 MACRO ASSEMBLER, V3.1 Copyright 1980, 1981, 1982, 1987 Intel Corporation ASSEMBLY COMPLETE, NO ERRORS FOUND C:\WorkTemp\ICC40\Ic86>link86.exe testapp.obj, testmsg.obj, ic86.lib to testapp.86 DOS 5.0 (038-N) 8086 LINKER, V2.7 Copyright 1984 Intel Corporation WARNING 14: GROUP ENLARGED FILE: TESTMSG.OBJ GROUP: CGROUP MODULE: TESTAPP WARNING 12: UNRESOLVED SYMBOLS C:\WorkTemp\ICC40\Ic86>exit
0 Kudos
Laurent_G_1
Beginner

Hi Sergey,

Yes I know this is a compiler only for C code and for 8086 80186 target.

I have already compiled an old project from 1990 with succes with this compiler,

the problem is that I did not get exactly the same binay code generated at this time probably

because the compiler I used is not the same version that the one from this epoch.

As I have the original compiler outputs from this time I know that they used the version 4.5

and not 4.0. So I would try with V4.5.

I have also exactly the compiler directives they used to build and optimization is enabled.

So I guess the optimization algorithm of V4.0 is not the same than V4.5.

And for certification reasons I need to build exactly the same binary code.

You can find here the doc. I found about the compiler and the assembler.

Best regards,

Laurent.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...So I guess the optimization algorithm of V4.0 is not the same than V4.5... If all options, that is compiler and linker, are the same then they really different when it comes to generation of codes.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Here is a zip file with my test case if somebody is interested.
0 Kudos
Daniel_G_6
Beginner

Hello Laurent,

Would you happen to have the ASM86 development package mentioned in the READ.ME file? It should contain the following files (besides ASM86.EXE and LINK86.EXE, which are present in the ZIP files you uploaded):

87NULL.LIB
   SMALL.LIB
   UDI2DOS.EXE

I am also interested in compiling very old programs for certification purposes, but without these files I am not able to successfully run SAMPLE.CMD, and I am getting errors such as "WARNING 12: UNRESOLVED SYMBOLS". I'd like to be able to actually run some of the compiled files (e.g. on DOSBOX).

0 Kudos
Daniel_G_6
Beginner

Well, I managed to find the files. With them, I was able to compile and run a program using a command-line based on SAMPLE.CMD. They come possibly from a v4.5 compiler, but they worked with the ones you uploaded, so I think they should be fine.

0 Kudos
Rodrigo_F_
Beginner

Hi Guys,

I don't know if it will help but here is a link I've found:

http://www.nj7p.info/Computers/Old%20Software/software.html

"Intel iC-86 C Compiler, Ver 4.5

This archive contains the Intel iC-86 C Compiler, Libraries, and Manual. These disks were imaged from MSDOS 360KB, 5.25-inch, DS DD diskettes from 1990. Both Dunfield format .IMD and raw image (.IMG) files are provided for each original floppy disk. This comiler works with the iAPX 86/88 Utilities to create executable files."

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>I don't know if it will help but here is a link I've found: >>. >>http://www.nj7p.info/Computers/Old%20Software/software.html >>. >>"Intel iC-86 C Compiler, Ver 4.5 Thank you. I'll look at this...
0 Kudos
Laurent_G_1
Beginner

Thank you , I finally found de full package V4.5

through another link and succeeded to rebuild the complete

firmware . So this topic can be closed.

0 Kudos
Sundararajan_P_
Beginner

Hi Laurent and Sergey,

I found this thread to be very useful as older version of IC86 compiler and the related tools are very much needed for compilation.

With the information's shared by you we almost got all the required files except "cnofltl.obj​" ?

Please share me a link or the obj file in case you have any.

Also share if you have IC86 compiler version 4.1.

Thanks,

Sundar

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>With the information's shared by you we almost got all the required files except "cnofltl.obj​" ? >> >>Please share me a link or the obj file in case you have any. >> >>Also share if you have IC86 compiler version 4.1. At https://registrationcenter.intel.com there are all versions of Intel C/C++ compiler back to 8.0.xx. It would be a good thing to share All legacy versions of Intel compilers. I've been talking about it for several years that Intel Legacy Software Archive is needed, similar to legacy archives at NVIDIA ( for CUDA ) or Oracle ( for JAVA ). Unfortunately, IT top level managers are thinking only about money and can't understand why regular Public Libraries exist and so popular among different people who want to get a very old book, or tape, or magazine, etc.
0 Kudos
Laurent_G_1
Beginner

Hi Sergey,

Sorry for the delay, here you can find the version 4,1.

I have not that object file, sorry.

Best regards

0 Kudos