Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Internal compiler error in 11.1 059 Linux and 11.0 061 Windows

jcoffland
Beginner
I found a bug in the Intel C++ compiler. If this is the wrong place to post this please tell me where to go.

I run this:
icpc -c -I. system.cpp

I get this:
system.cpp(54) (col. 19): internal error: assertion failed: be_value_from_constant: unknown constant kind (shared/edgglue/edg_decl.c, line 1243)

Code attached.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jcoffland
Beginner
I just found that I get the same error on the same file in Windows using 11.0 061.
0 Kudos
jcoffland
Beginner
I found a work around. If I change line 40 of system.cpp to this:

const char *name;

Then the problem goes away.

The compiler does not seem to like having std::string in the structure of that static array.
0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, jcoffland

Thank you for raising this issue. I have reproduced your issue and entered it in our problem tracking system. We will try to resolve this issue as soon as we can. However, please be advised that this issue may have to be targeted to for the next major release. I will let you know when I have an update on this issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee
Quoting - jcoffland
I just found that I get the same error on the same file in Windows using 11.0 061.

Hi, jcoffland

I'm not being able to reproduce it on Windows, but linux only. Could you give me the steps to reproduce it on windows? Thanks.
0 Kudos
jcoffland
Beginner
I'm not being able to reproduce it on Windows, but linux only. Could you give me the steps to reproduce it on windows? Thanks.

I got the same error under the same conditions in the Windows compiler using version 11.0 061.

I've also had other compiler problems with std::string in a static array. For example, in one case the compiler was just running for a long time then running out of memory. I'm starting a new thread for this as it is likely related but a different problem. See: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=69665
0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee
Quoting - jcoffland

I got the same error under the same conditions in the Windows compiler using version 11.0 061.

I've also had other compiler problems with std::string in a static array. For example, in one case the compiler was just running for a long time then running out of memory. I'm starting a new thread for this as it is likely related but a different problem. See: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=69665

Hi, jcoffland

Thank you for raising those issues. We really appreciate it.

For your original project, to buildit on Windows, I modify file "platform.h" a little at line 47:

[cpp]#elif defined( WIN32 )[/cpp]
=>

[cpp]#elif defined( _WIN32 )[/cpp]

Otherwise I'll get an "Unsupported platform error". After the modification the compilation passed both for IA32 and Intel 64:

prompt>icl /c /I. system.cpp
Intel C++ Compiler Professional for applications running on IA-32, Version 11.0 Build 20080930 Package ID: w_cproc_p_11.0.061
Copyright (C) 1985-2008 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

system.cpp

prompt>icl /c /I. system.cpp
Intel C++ Compiler Professional for applications running on Intel 64, Version 11.0 Build 20080930 Package ID: w_cproc_p_11.0.061
Copyright (C) 1985-2008 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

system.cpp

So could you tell me what's the OS and Visual Studio version are you using? Your platform architechure?
Also have you tried the 11.1 compiler on Windows? Do you face the same problem?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
jcoffland
Beginner
I'm sorry I think I confused the issue by adding in Windows. Lets concentrate the compiler crash I've demonstarted in Linux. This is not fixed as far as I can tell.
0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee
Quoting - jcoffland
I'm sorry I think I confused the issue by adding in Windows. Lets concentrate the compiler crash I've demonstarted in Linux. This is not fixed as far as I can tell.

That's fine. Thanks, jcoffland. It's good to see it not affects Windows anyway.
For the issue on Linux, it's being tracked andI will let you know when I have an update on this issue.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, jcoffland

I have verified your issue is resolved in the Intel C++Compiler Linux* 11.1 Update 5. You may download this compiler package from our Registration Center: https://registrationcenter.intel.com/.

Thank you.

0 Kudos