Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Internal error: assertion failed at: "shared/edgcpfe/host_envir.c", line 6136

yintat
Beginner
I've just downloaded "Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011".
And I opened a empty project in visual studio 2008 and insert a main.cpp as follows
void main()
{
};
Then I switch the project into intel compiler by the button in the toolbar. Then compile it
And I get the following error
Build Log

Build started: Project: test, Configuration: Debug|Win32

Command Lines
Creating temporary file "C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\RSPC1CA.bs" with contents
[
/c /Od /D "WIN32" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_CONSOLE" /D "_UNICODE" /D "UNICODE" /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /GS /fp:fast /Fo"Debug/" /Fd"Debug/vc90.pdb" /W3 /nologo /ZI /Qvc9 /Qlocation,link,"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\\\bin"
.\\main.cpp
]
Creating command line "icl.exe "@C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\RSPC1CA.bs""
Output Window
Compiling with Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.0.2.154 [IA-32]... (Intel C++ Environment)
main.cpp
Internal error: assertion failed at: "shared/edgcpfe/host_envir.c", line 6136

compilation aborted for .\\main.cpp (code 4)
Results
Build log was saved at "file://C:\\Users\\user\\Desktop\\test\\test\\Debug\\BuildLog.htm"
test - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s), 1 remark(s)
Did I do something wrong?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Om_S_Intel
Employee
I am using VS2010 and Intel compiler XE. It worked for me.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I think this problem has been reported several times on the forums, although the search tool doesn't report anything. Anyway, it seems to be associated with an older version of the compiler; running the current one under VS2008 gives only the obvious warning about the wrong return type.
0 Kudos
yintat
Beginner
But the compiler is the newest version, downloaded from intel website 1 week ago.

I've tried to reinstall theIntel Parallel Studio XE 2011, but it didn't help.

What should I do?
0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

The assertion is happening when the compiler tries to check if you locale is valid, i.e. this is the
assertion that is being tripped:

/* Create a locale object to be used for multibyte character conversions. */
system_default_locale = _create_locale(LC_ALL,
get_system_default_locale_name());
check_assertion(system_default_locale != NULL);

Are you sure you have the locale set to a valid locale? It looks like get_system_default_locale_name() calls
the microsoft system functionGetLocaleInfo with LOCALE_SYSTEM_DEFAULTdescribed here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd318101(v=vs.85).aspx

This is returning 0, i.e. failing. What is your LANG environment variable set to?

Judy
0 Kudos