Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Is Intel C++ Compiler 9.1 right for me?

jimwon
Beginner
Hi there, I am developing a 64-bit numerical modeling program and looking for a right compiler. Intel C++ Compiler 9.1 seems ideal for me. Here are my requirements Host System Windows Server 2003 x64 Intel Dual Core Xeon 7120 (multiple processors) Targe Systems: Multiple Intel dual-core 64-bit processors Any 64-bit Windows (XP, Vista, Server 2003) OpenMP support Possible backward compatiblity for IA-32 systems. Portability to Linux Clusters (MPI) It seems to me that both Intel C++ and Fortran compilers are great to meet my goal. I do not know which one to choose. Will Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL) support both Intel C++ and Intel Fortran compilers? The performace is one of my top concerns. I have some legacy code in C++ which may take one man-month to port it into Fortran. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you. Jim
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Yes, MKL works fine with both Intel C++ and Fortran. Your license for an Intel compiler covers use of the 32- and 64-bit versions, and any new releases during the year.

When you say legacy C++, does that mean it won't run, or at least not efficiently, on standard compilers? Intel C++ is pretty much equal to Fortran in terms of ability to optimize with vectorized SSE and OpenMP (if you use all the restrict keyword and pragma extensions), so it's your call.

0 Kudos
jimwon
Beginner
I have a Borland C++ program with some VCL GUI. Now I am developing a GUI-less application based on my existing C++ code. I learned that Fortran code often runs faster than C++ code for number crunching. I was also told that C++ code can run as fast as Fortran code. I am an intermediate level programmer in both Fortran and C++. I am kind of lost and do not know which way to go (which Intel compiler to choose). Thank you.
0 Kudos