Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7943 Discussions

Is it the age of the kernel or stability of idb? + suggestions....

mschifter
Beginner
Hi,

I use the Intel C++ debugger for Linux, release 11.1.046, which should be current as of this writing. There have been many issues with the product, and stability is a major problem (was ok when I first started using it, debugging Qt GUI code). I am not sure if these reproduce under your supported platforms, but I'm running redhat enterprise with redhawk on top of it. The kernel is 2.6.6, and the Concurrent redhawk release is 2.2.2. with a little customization to support ALSA drivers in the kernel. Here is a description of most of the bugs:

1. The debugger jumps to the source line before the last line of a function, when the function ends with a catch() block. According to the assembler language, it is in the wrong location vs the instruction pointer register.

2. Clicking for help crashes the debugger every time.

3. idb reloads symbols every time a line is stepped (blue rectangle "knight rider" oscillating display), when a locals window exists, even if it is not displayed. This takes 10-20 seconds to update though I am on a modern machine.

4. idb is unstable and frequently locks up when hitting the "pause" traffic icon.

5. idb frequently doesn't show the evaluator that I type in. No error message, and the variable is in scope.

6. idb locks when clicking up the callstack. Right clicking and selecting "show scope" seems a bit more stable.

Suggestions for improvement:
1. Fast, global source search.
2. incremental source file search.
3. simple edit/save abilities (was this part implemented? there is an "insert" and "read only" indicator at the bottom of the display).
4. please change the default octal format to integer, or make it an option.
5. post-mortem debugging.
6. leak detection.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - mschifter

2. Clicking for help crashes the debugger every time.

Did you take the poorly documented steps of installing a working version of Firefox or similar, and making a "mozilla" symlink to it?
0 Kudos
mschifter
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
Did you take the poorly documented steps of installing a working version of Firefox or similar, and making a "mozilla" symlink to it?
No, Mozilla was already installed (an old version of it), with no updates applied.
0 Kudos