Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Is static library libiomp5mt.dll supported for intel C++ compiler 19.1?

LI__DETIAN
Beginner

Hi, I am pretty new to Intel C++ compiler and am appreciated for your help.

I want to confirm which of the following is true during compile link process:

1. static openMP libiomp5mt.dll is not supported for Win 10

2. static openMP libiomp5mt.dll is not supported for Parallel Studio 2020 XE Intel Compiler 19.1

3 static openMP libiomp5mt.dll is supported for Parallel Studio 2020 XE on Win 10, I missed something so I don't have it.

Background info: When I compile on my Win 7 machine with Parallel Studio 2019, I always link to the static libiomp5mt.dll. I want to test whether compile works on win 10 machine, I install a trial version of Parallel Studio 2020 with Intel Compiler 19.1. I don't see static libiomp5mt.dll anymore in my C drive, instead I have to link to dynamic library libiomp5md.dll.

Is there any document can confirm that libiomp5mt.dll is not supported? Or it is still supported but I missed something.

I find libiomp5mt.dll is not supported for Intel Fortran compiler 19.0 in this release note:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-190-for-windows-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2019

I don't see it anywhere in the Intel C++ compiler release note. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LI__DETIAN
Beginner

I found here that the static library is not supported for Intel Compiler 19.1 on Windows:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/cpp-compiler-developer-guide-and-reference-openmp-support-libraries

My next question is, which old version of Intel compiler still support the static library for Windows? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

I am not sure why you see libiomp5dt.dll with Parallel Studio 2019.

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\parallel_studio_xe_2019.5.067\compilers_and_libraries_2019\windows\compiler\lib\intel64>dir libiomp5mt*

File Not Found

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

We do not support a static version of the OpenMP library on Windows.  We removed that around version 13.0.  The Windows environment favors dynamic linking - it is easier to apply security patches by dropping new DLL files.  There has been ongoing arguments for years between static and dynamic linking.  For Windows, the community favors dynamic linkage.  This is why we freely distribute our runtime libraries in a kit you can distribute to remote users of your programs - they can easily install this runtime which gives them all our Intel library DLLS.  OR you can simply drop them along side your .exe file.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-compilers-redistributable-libraries-by-version

to find out what DLLs are needed by your .exe you can use a tool like "Depends" to find all the DLL dependencies of any .exe file.

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

Hi Detian,

Please confirm the solution before I close.

Regards,

Subarna

0 Kudos
MaheshB_Intel

Hi,

As your issue is resolved we will no longer monitor this thread. Please raise a new thread if you have any new queries. Any further interactions on this thread will be considered community only.

Thanks

0 Kudos