Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Issue installing Parallel Studio 2016 Cluster Edition

luke_o_
Beginner

Hi, I have an issue installing Parallel Studio 2016 on windows 10, specifically the visual studio C++ runtime components keep failing to install. Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this but I couldn't find a better one. Setup reports the following error.

Windows Installer failed to configure product:
 Error message: An error occurred during the installation of assembly component 844EFBA7-1C24-93B2-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E. HRESULT: 0x80073715. 
 Error code: 1603
 File name: msvcrt_x64.msi

I have tried both uninstalling all the C++ libraries as well as installing all of them before starting studio setup but that made no difference. Searching led me to the following KB on Microsoft website.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2643995

So as far as I can tell this is caused by differing timestamps, Is their an easy fix for this issue or do I need to contact a Microsoft support engineer?

As the VC++ runtime libraries are already installed can I tell the parallel studio installer to skip installing them?

I included log files as an attachment

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Luke,
Pardon the inconvenience. Can you attach the installation log files containing the strings  "*issa*" and "*pset*" (with intel prefix) found under %TEMP% or $TMPDIR directory so our installation folks can investigate? Thanks for your help.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I can't make out whether your quoted error comes when installing Microsoft Visual Studio (which version?) or when subsequently installing Intel releases.

You should install a qualifying version of Visual Studio, such as VS 2013 Community, before installing Parallel Studio, particularly if you need C or C++ include and library support, as it appears you do.  The Visual Studio 2013 Shell supplied with psxe doesn't support Intel C++.  Not all of the components of the original psxe 2016 release are supported on Windows 10, but updates have already been posted to take care of that, and it should not prevent installation.

I have had no difficulty installing psxe against VS2012 Pro or VS2013 Community, in any of their various update versions.  The current update of VS2015 community has been problematical in compatibility with psxe for me.  Each new version of VS2015 has required the previous one be both removed and its folders deleted.

In Windows 10, it seems important to remove cleanly all older versions of Intel Software tools, including those which may be left after upgrading from a previous Windows version.  It doesn't appear from your comments that you are encountering the installer block due to remaining traces of past versions of VTune (which appear to be corrected since the original psxe2016, in the VTune update).

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Luke/[Tim],
OK, this is a known Microsoft issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2643995.  Please contact the MS Customer Support services and get this issue resolved accordingly. Appreciate if you confirm and update this thread after resolution,  thanks.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Viorel_E_Intel
Employee

Hello Luke,

In my opinion this is a problem caused by a missing/wrong version of Microsoft Visual C++ 20xx Redistributable packet. The problem is that you need to install the expected version, not just a version. I had a similar problem and it was only fixed after I installed version 8.0.61001 (MV C++ 2005 Redistributable). I hope it helps.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The version of VS2015 which was usual up to the time this thread was started didn't automatically install a correct SDK.  The more recent VS2015.1 install/modify menu gives the important option of installing the 10240 SDK (also available as winsdk.exe) along with C++.  Before that, the VS2015 install procedure was undocumented, to my knowledge.  Perhaps needless to say, Microsoft appears to have made changes since the current Intel releases were developed.

In spite of Microsoft fixing most of the problems associated with VS2015 on Win10, I still found it necessary to revert to win8.1 on my Ultrabook.  I haven't found a reason for VS2015 on my original Core I7 which seems to run win10 OK.  So it seems the testing of various aspects of win10 hasn't yet proceeded to the advertised extent.

Is that a typo in the previous response?  I don't think any VS2005 components can be useful with current Intel compilers.

0 Kudos
G__Jeevan
Beginner

Is there any solution to the problem mentioned because I seem to be facing  the same problem in my computer. I use Visual Studio 2015 Community edition and Intel Parallel Studio 2016 XE Cluster Edition Update 3. I have been using ips2016xe earlier on windows 10 with vs2015 comm ide and there used to be no issues. Only when I reset the pc I am facing the problem. I have already tried resetting the pc twice with only to face the same problem again.

Error message

Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3 Cluster Edition for Windows* Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error(s).
  Windows Installer failed to configure product:
 Error message: An error occured during the installation of assembly component 844EFBA7-1C24-93B2-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E. HRESULT: 0x80073715. 
 Error code: 1603
 File name: msvcrt_x64.msi

0 Kudos
Anoop_M_Intel
Employee

Jeevan,

As Kittur updated, you can get the hotfix from Microsoft. Please check this URL for more details: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2643995.

Thanks and Regards
Anoop

0 Kudos
DarioMangoni
Beginner

Have you made sure that you were installing with admin privileges?
I was facing the same problem installing amplxe_msvcrt_x64.msi and the hotfix didn't solved my problem.
Only after that it came to my mind that I wasn't running as admin.

Anyway, if you actually need the hotfix, keep in mind that you'll be taken up to the garden path by MS support... they will ask you to do the following. Tell them that you have already done this and you will skip the unuseful part.

------------------------------------

1.) Run System File Checker Scanner. This scanner allows users to scan or to restore corruptions in Windows System File
>Press Windows Button + Letter X, and type Command Prompt ( Admin)
>On the Command Prompt, type sfc/scannow
> Restart to apply the changes

2.)  Disk Cleanup. Disk Cleanup is a tool use to delete temporary files. Cleaning out your PC on a regular basis frees up drive space and helps it run better. One of the easiest ways to clean up files you no longer need is by using Disk Cleanup.
>Search for Disk Cleanup. You may use your Cortana. If you're in Windows 7, or 8. A regular search will also do.
>Select the drive that you wanted to clean up. Let's always focus on drive C since Windows is installed there.
>A Window will be open, mark the small boxes, everything that you wanted to delete.
>After that, you'll see an option there clean up system files. Click ok again if it prompts you
>Follow the on screen instruction, and you'll see clean up system files. Disk Cleanup will automatically closes after it's done.

3.) Clean Boot. Clean boot is a process to disable the services of third party application. Sometimes, third party applications are interfering with the updates, and installation of other third party program causing a failure of installation.

> Press Windows Button + Letter R, and type msconfig
> System Configuration Window will be open
> After that, click on Services Tab
> You'll see there "Hide All Microsoft Services" Click it.
> Click Disable all
> Apply, ok, and Restart
> NOTE After installation of a program, or the update. You may enable it again. Do the same process, and click "Enable All". Apply, ok, and restart

0 Kudos