Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Issues building MPI

Ouissem_B
Beginner

Hi all,

I recently installed both Intel Fortran and Intel C++ compilers for Linux on my system (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with IA32). When trying to install MPICH, I'm unable to configure the installation, and I get this error :

checking for gcc... icc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/home/ouissem/Downloads/openmpi-1.6.5':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details

The same procedure works fine with GNU compilers.

The icc and icpc compilers are well recognized by the system, but unable to built any executable.

Can some one help me with this issue. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

As the message indicates, config.log should offer better specifics as to what went wrong, possibly in comparison with the gcc case.  I hope you remembered to set icpc as the C++ compiler.  You may need to disable Fortran support in order to build with icc and icpc but not ifort.

The main purpose of building mpicc with icc would be to invoke icc as default for building your applications.  gcc-built mpicc should also work with icc.

0 Kudos
Ouissem_B
Beginner

Hi Tim Prince,

Thank you for your answer.

I tried to uninstall and re-install both Intel C++ and Fortran compilers, and re-sourced the compilervars scripts for both compilers.

By now, the configuration and the installation of MPICH went well, but ifort is not even recognized: ifort doesn't exist as a command!

I think that my problem is more basic and is related to the installation of the compilers, the $PATH seems not well defined. I will try to carefully re-install everything.

I'm sorry if my request was a bit confusing. I'm more a HPC user than a developer.

Again, thank you very much for your valuable help.

With best regards,

Ouissem B

0 Kudos