Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Issues installing on Linux

exaviour_blackmsn_co
Greetings All,

I'm new to the world of compilers and to some extent, linux. I'm trying to understand if the comiler can
be installed and used at the command line. I ask because I've seen many articles related to installing as an add-on to Eclipse.

I assumed that I could do a silent install from the command line in Ubuntu 9.10 and I have all pre-requisites for C++ 11.1 When I attempt to install from the command line, it fails and tell me to see the Log File. I can't seem to find the log file to know what's wrong.

Could someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please followbelow guide for silent installation on linux:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-compilers-for-linux-version-111-silent-installation-guide/

Thanks.

0 Kudos
exaviour_blackmsn_co

I have attempted to follow this guide with determination, however, a few questions go unanswered.

1) What format does the License File need to be?
2) Where is the log file located for purposes of a failed installation?
3) Do I need to set global permissions on the file, or just run the installer as root?

Cheers
0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

To answer your questions:
1) What format does the License File need to be?
.lic file. It should be attached in your registration email.
If you have only a serial number, please visit https://registrationcenter.intel.com to register your serial number. As part of registration, you will receive email with an attached license file. Save the license file in /opt/intel/licenses/ directory. If you have already registered your serial number but have lost the license file, revisit https://registrationcenter.intel.com and click on the hyperlinked product name to get to a screen where you can cut and paste or mail yourself a copy of your registered license file.

2) Where is the log file located for purposes of a failed installation?
It's under /tmp folder by default. Named as "intel.pset.$user.$host_*.log".

3) Do I need to set global permissions on the file, or just run the installer as root?
Root is ok. You may refer to these fields in your ini filefor the permissions.
PSET_INSTALL_DIR=/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/038
This is the install directory where product content will be placed. Permissions for the parent directories and file systems of this directory need to be enabled so that the user running the silent install could create them, but the directory itself does not need to exist prior to the installation.

INSTALL_MODE=RPM
This directive tells the install program that the RPM method should be used to install the software. This will only work if the install user is "root" or has full root priveleges and your distribution support RPM for package management. In some cases, where the operating system of the target system does not support RPM or if the install program detects that the version of RPM supported by the operating system is flawed or otherwise incompatible with the install program, the installation will proceed but will switch to non-RPM mode automatically. This is the case for certain legacy operating systems (e.g. SLES9) and for operating systems that provide an RPM utility, but do not use RPM to store or manage system-installed operating system infrastructure (e.g. Ubuntu, Debian). THUS, Ubuntu and Debian users set this to INSTALL_MODE=NONRPM.
If the you do not want to use RPM, then this line should read "INSTALL_MODE=NONRPM". In this case, the products will be installed to the same location, but instead of storing product information in the system's RPM database, the Intel product install information will be stored in a flat file called "intel_sdp_products.db", usually stored in /opt/intel (or in $HOME/intel for non-root users).

Thanks.
0 Kudos