Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Leopard: "C compiler cannot create executables"

intel1
Beginner
Hi,

I posted a message in the threading forum because I initially thought this was a problem with OpenMPI and ICC. I've now tried configuring some other software (MPICH) and I get the same problem:

checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

This is driving me mad so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
I haven't seen this problem. Can you give me a little more info? Can you build a trivial hello_world program? Or do only see this problem when building MPI? Can you give some more details as to how to reproduce the problem you're seeing? Do only see this problem on Leopard, i.e. have you built successfully on tiger?

Thanks!

Dale
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
"compiler cannot create executable" is a standard open source configury response, alerting you to examine the log file, typically config.log. If you don't check basic issues such as Dale mentioned, to assure that the compiler PATH variables are set, and then show the evidence from the log file, there isn't much we can do to help.
Each of the major open source MPIs has an FAQ page covering common issues, including the information which has to be provided when asking for assistance.
0 Kudos
grs2103
Beginner
I'm having the same problem with MPICH2 and less intense stuff, such as the GSL.
0 Kudos