Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Licensing on public CI infrastructure

Charles_A_1
Beginner

So this issue seems to come up from time to time but I've yet to see a response from Intel on what to do (other than "I'll talk to our product team about it" and never really get back).

What is the correct way to use the Intel Parallel Studio on public CI infrastructure (Travis, Circle CI, Azure Pipelines, etc.)?  When doing this for open source projects, the open source non commercial license only applies if you're esentialy doing it on your own free time.  If I'm an employee of a company working on an open source project then the non-commercial license doesn't apply to me since I'm getting pain for my work.  It doesn't really seem feasible to run a license server in the cloud that the CI builds then talk to.  I also don't want to put my license file directly on a public cloud machine that's accessible to any user submitting a github pull request.

So what then is the requirement that the compiler uses your specific license file, so long as you actually have a legit license?  I guess let me explain that a little better.  Say I generate a non-commercial license file and install that with the compiler in a container that runs CI builds on CircleCI triggered by GitHub pull requests.  Then say I purchase a named user license, but just don't install the file anywhere.  In that case, I have purchased a legit commercial use license for the compiler, can I then simply "assert" that the compiler's use in the CI is under the license I've purchased?  As far as I can tell from reading the license language this should be allowed since it doesn't actually say anywhere that your use of the compiler has to be with the specific file tied to your license, just that you need to have a license that covers your use.

Would this work then?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Charles_A_1
Beginner

Just to point something else out, Microsoft has provided the enterprise version of Visual Studio on their VM images used for Azure Pipelines.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

If you could open a ticket at http://www.intel.com/supporttickets, then someone from the licensing team will be able to help.

0 Kudos
Charles_A_1
Beginner

Done.  Support Request 04400214

0 Kudos
Le_Callet__Morgan_M

Dear all, I would also like to know what i could do to enable CI.Right now in the team we are investigating the following options and would like your feedback on what can be done:

1. has someone setting up a pipeline in AzureDevops without creating a custom virtual machine

2. Can i create a virtual machine with vs 2017 and install  the appropriate intel complier ( 18.0.5.274 ): and get a node locked licence for this machine.: is there enough information on the vm to generate a licence file taht will work again and again ?

0 Kudos
feng__yao
Beginner

Hi Charles,

Do you have any update from your last post? I'm having the same situation here to use Intel C++ license (named user or floating) in Azure DevOps CI pipeline. Please leave a message if anyone gets an update on this. Thanks.

Charles A. wrote:

Done.  Support Request 04400214

0 Kudos