Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Linker error (Intel Compiler 13.1.2.190)

Sergey_Kondrikov
Beginner

I failed to build my project (under Windows 7 x64, VS2012 Update 2) that uses a rarely used /Zc:wchar_t- flag.

I have created a sample to reproduce this issue:

[cpp]

#include <iostream>

int main(int, char* [])
{
  std::cout << 5;

return 0;
}

[/cpp]

If I build it with the following flags I have a linkage error:

[bash]

> icl /Zc:wchar_t- /O2 /MD /EHsc main.cpp

Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 13.1.2.190 Build 20130514
Copyright (C) 1985-2013 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
30 DAY EVALUATION LICENSE

main.cpp
icl: NOTE: The evaluation period for this product ends on 5-jul-2013 UTC.
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 11.00.60315.1
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

-out:main.exe
main.obj
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __cdecl std::_Yarn<unsigned short>::~_Yarn<unsigned short>(void)" (__imp_??1?$_Yarn@G@std@@QEAA@XZ) referenced in function "class std::numpunct<char> const& __cdecl std::use_facet<class std::numpunct<char> >(class std::locale const &)" (??$use_facet@V?$numpunct@D@std@@@std@@YAAEBV?$numpunct@D@0@AEBVlocale@0@@Z)
main.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

>

[/bash]

I have found two workarounds for this problem. The first is to disable inline functions expansion (adding /Ob0 flag) and the second is to disable C++ exceptions (remove /EHsc flag).

[bash]

>icl /Zc:wchar_t- /O2 /MD /EHsc /Ob0 main.cpp
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 13.1.2.190 Build 20130514
30 DAY EVALUATION LICENSE

main.cpp
icl: NOTE: The evaluation period for this product ends on 5-jul-2013 UTC.

main.obj

>icl /Zc:wchar_t- /O2 /MD main.cpp

main.cpp

main.obj

[/bash]

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Sergey, Thanks for these technical details. My question is did you try to use a _MBCS macro? ... #define _MBCS #include "iostream" int main( int, char *[] ) { std::cout << 5; return 0; } ... >>...a rarely used /Zc:wchar_t- flag... I agree with that and in all VS projects I work with the option is always on ( at the same time _UNICODE is also defined ).This is what MSDN says about that compiler option: ... If /Zc:wchar_t- is specified, the compiler requires you to either define wchar_t or to include one of the many header files that defines it (for example, wchar.h ). Typically, wchar_t is defined as an unsigned short. ...
0 Kudos
Sergey_Kondrikov
Beginner

did you try to use a _MBCS macro

Yes, but neither _MBCS nor _UNICODE change the build result.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __cdecl std::_Yarn... I will take a look at where it comes from. At the moment I see that VS 2005, 2008 and 2010 ( different Editions ) don't have it.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Finally found in VS 2010 in: xlocale xlocinfo xutility header files and, for example, there is a code like ( in xlocale ): ... _Yarn[ char ] _Name; // locale name, or "*" if not known ... Note: I replaced arrow-left and arrow-right with [ and ] characters because editor doen't display any text after left-arrow.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I see that this is some new STL feature introduced in VS 2010 and 2012 versions and I'm Not convinced that this is a problem with Intel C++ compiler because I would expect to see a declaration like: ... _Yarn[ wchar_t ] _Name; // locale name, or "*" if not known ... and a linker error in your Initial posts confirms it.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
This is a short follow up. Sergey, I don't know if that problem affects some production application you're working on but since you have a workaround I would proceed with it. It would be nice if you contact Microsoft since xlocale is Not Intel's header. I hope that Intel software engineers will also look at the problem. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Sergey_Kondrikov
Beginner

but since you have a workaround I would proceed with it

Ok, as a workaround we chose to disable C++ exceptions though it is not very good solution because it needs some non-trivial code modifications.

Finally found in VS 2010 in:

xlocale
xlocinfo
xutility

I think that problem lies in xlocinfo header (VS2012) since this is the only file that instantiates _Yarn<wchar_t> (used for weekday and month names)

It would be nice if you contact Microsoft since xlocale is Not Intel's header

The reason I created this thread on Intel's forum is that Microsoft's compiler successfully compiles this sample (and whole huge application):

[bash]

> cl /Zc:wchar_t- /O2 /MD /EHsc main.cpp

Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 17.00.60315.1 for x64

main.cpp

/out:main.exe
main.obj

>

[/bash]

So I think this problem is on compiler (not linker) side.

I hope that Intel software engineers will also look at the problem.

I agree. It would be great if you forward this issue to Intel engineers.

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello, I'd like to inform you that this problem is known and has been fixed with Intel(R) Composer XE 2013 SP1 (14.0) and later. Best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

this is a correction:

Although it looked like the problem has been fixed with 14.0, the root cause might still be there. It also appears with the Microsoft Visual Studio* compiler:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/817221/yarn-wchar-t-specialization-does-not-link-if-zc-wchar-t-is-specified

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

I got email recently that the Microsoft team has finally fixed this, the issue will be fixed in the VS2015 RTM.

0 Kudos